This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is there a noticeable power difference between the old/ne

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Is there a noticeable power difference between the old/n

Postby bob in CT » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:10 am

1955 Camshaft change and engine RPM increased
1968 Pop-up pistons
1975 larger carb and manifold
ALL cubs used the same governor weights. Lighter governor weights were used in numbered Loboys and power units.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Yep, and more Yep.... there is a difference. I have not worked my 77 too much, OK at all.
Something like 66 or 68 they put domed pistons in and although a lot of variables between tractors, the 70 and 71 Cubs have more power than my 65 Lo Boy. The long stripe Cubs (sometime in 75) also have a Zenith Carb and some other tricks that have more power (higher RPMs).
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Alan Gee wrote:I went back and got out the Cub with its booming 9 or so HP and it pushed the tree with zero problems.

That was the torque moving the tree not the HP.

It's not the horsepower it's the low ratio gearing is were the power comes in.

The older cubs had 9 horsepower, low compression pistons and 1,800rpm w/ ih carb while the newer ones have 15 horsepower, high compression domed pistons, 2,200rpm w/ zenith carb.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”