This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Luke470
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54007
Tractors Owned: !949 Cub
1957 Cub
1959 Cub
!959 LoBoy
1960 Farmall 560
1958 Allis D17
1946 Case VAC
1947 Minneapolis Moline-RTI

Sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't

Postby Luke470 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:46 pm

Hi All,

Have a 61 cub. When I go to start it I turn the fuel on at the sediment bowel - about 2 turns - I then choke it, turn on the ignition and pull the starter. Sometimes it fires but sometimes it just cranks. If I leave the gas on too long it will start dripping out the drain on the carb. I'm guessing a good cleaning of the carb would probably do wonders but just wanted to check to see if anyone else had any advice.

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:23 pm

When I go to start it I turn the fuel on at the sediment bowel - about 2 turns.
Turn the shut off screw out until it stops. May take 3 or 4 or more full revolutions, out.

I then choke it, turn on the ignition and pull the starter. Sometimes it fires but sometimes it just cranks.
Perhaps the sediment bowl valve is only partially open, restricting, slowing down, the fuel flow.

Starting my Cub, open the fuel valve, check engine oil, shake hands with shifter, attempt to start. Procedure takes a minute or so. Enough time for the fuel to fill the carburetor and fuel line.

If I leave the gas on too long it will start dripping out the drain on the carb. I'm guessing a good cleaning of the carb would probably do wonders.
Wouldn't hurt.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:43 pm

Maybe you only need to choke it momentarily as the starter turns the engine, dripping gas indicates flooding. Otherwise, it's tune-up time.

Most "carburetor problems" are resolved with a full tune up. Measure/adjust valve lash and look for valves sticking open. Check the fuel tank for water, rust, debris; use fresh fuel. Don't fiddle with the carburetor until the ignition system is up to snuff and you discover trash in the fuel.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 pm

I never have to choke my Cubs in warm weather to get them started.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:14 pm

I never just open the sediment bowl valve just partially. I always open it fully until it back seats.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Try starting it with no choke at first, and then, if she doesn't catch on the first rev or two, add choke. Since I started that sequence, Eddie almost always fires up. Only time she doesn't is when its bitter cold, and even then it's only once or twice that she has refused.

Wish I could remember who first posted that suggestion so I could give proper credit.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:32 pm

On the choke: Every tractor is a little different in how much choke it wants to start and how it is applied. Set it and forget it generally doesn't work, and usually floods the engine, causing a no-start and gas dripping from the carburetor.

First experiment: Open the fuel valve all the way, and wait. No crank. No choke. Does fuel start dripping? If so you need to do some carburetor work. The main needle is leaking so odds are things are gummed up.

Second experiment: If no dripping after experiment #1, try cranking without the choke. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Third experiment: If no start with cranking in experiment #2, try "blipping" the choke. Just a quick hit. Keep giving the engine blips of choke until it fires, and keep your hand on the choke as it first begins to run. Add if it starts to die, let off as it starts to run better.

Luke470
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54007
Tractors Owned: !949 Cub
1957 Cub
1959 Cub
!959 LoBoy
1960 Farmall 560
1958 Allis D17
1946 Case VAC
1947 Minneapolis Moline-RTI

Postby Luke470 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks for all the info and all the tips.

I should also mention that when it does start it runs like a champ.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Starting my standard Cub with IH carburetor is as previously described. Not a lot of choke. In cold weather I have to feather the choke a bit until the engine runs smooth.

Zenith carburetor on the 154 is a different story. Takes quite a bit of choke in cold weather and then a bit of choke feathering until the engine smooths out. Warm weather still takes a choke for the first engine revolution or two.
I have an excuse. CRS.

nwfan1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby nwfan1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:02 pm

I've had a loose wire on the ignition switch that would make my 55 do that. Maybe check your switch- is it always turning the ignition on? I think you should see a slight discharge on the amp meter when the ignition is truly on.
'54 Standard Cub #185939
'55 Standard Cub #192323
'55 Loboy #732 with IH 1000 loader
'55 LoBoy #1937
"No holes in my hoods!"

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:30 pm

"I think you should see a slight discharge on the amp meter when the ignition is truly on." This is true if the ignition points are closed, as they are most of the time. But it is possible that the engine will stop with the points open in which case the ammeter will not show a reading.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Return to “Farmall Cub”