This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Restoring the Demonstrator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Restoring the Demonstrator

Postby countershaft » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:33 pm

I've got the whole front off, down to the radiator sitting on top of the steering housing. Should I pull the radiator and replace the "radiator gasket" ? It seems ok with no visible leaks of anti-freeze after sitting for 10 years. The touble is --- I'm busting bolts every time I take something else off ! Just broke the 2 off the water outlet elbow.
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:13 pm

Patience, patience, patience. Lots of Kroil or spray sea foam day after day after day, tap it with a hammer and or heat then more kroil and more patience. One of the best tools for taking stuff apart is a short handle wrench for up to about 1/2 inch bolts. You can put a piece of pipe on a wrench and break off 1 inch bolts if you want to play HUGGY BEAR. Time or drill them out that is the question.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Bolts

Postby countershaft » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:18 pm

I've heated , used a gallon of Kroil ( good stuff) and hammered on them , but 50 years of not moving is too much for the old buggers. Brian , I don't know if it overheated or not . It sat in a barn for 10 years and is not presently running yet . I just haven't got it there yet .
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby countershaft » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:24 pm

Beacon --- I've used everything but "patience"> There's two words I'd like to take out of the dictionary , "wait" and "change".

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:27 pm

if the bolts are a decent size try using a 3/4 socket set if you have one we have one has worked good for getting soem very stubborn bolts
Image On To Bigger Things

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:35 pm

An other trick I find helpful is tottry to tighter then loosen then tighten etc. I have found heat helpful too.
Notice how I sign. If I can't break it it can't be broken. I have gotten tired of breaking any more than I have too. Last stupid thing I did cost 5.83 in parts 3 1/2 hours in time + 2 gals of fluid to replace a hydraulic elbow I really didn't have to break.
Grinding a flat, drilling, easy out and chasing threads gets old for me quick. There have been times that I ground off bolt heads so that the vibration and or heat loosened up things for vise grips or a stilson wrench. But it all takes patience.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:37 am

I found a lot of stuff under my radiator, including some sticks. No idea how they would have made it down there. :?: :?:
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”