This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tune up sequence?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Tune up sequence?

Postby cub.bub » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:57 am

Thought I'd jump in and ask a question about proper tune up sequence, I've given it a lot of thought, only to become confused, which doesn't take much these days :?
So what would be the right sequence in tuning? I've rebuilt the carb now would I go to timing, valve lash, gov. to carb adjustment or does it make a difference? I'm thinking it would make a difference.
Thought I'd ask before I regretted my desire to tinkering. Presently she is starting good but advancing the throttle she searches for a few moments. I did notice after reading another post that my linkage could be rubbing by the carb.
Thanks for any help, Bruce.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Tune up sequence?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

Most of the things you have listed will not make a difference as to order, except I would leave the carb-governor linkage adjustment for last. Check the points before doing the timing, since the point adjustment affects the timing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:32 am

And if you removed the carberator to work on it, adjust the valves while the carb is still off the engine.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:02 am

My sequence. Compression tests. Valve tappets. Ignition. Carburetor and governor linkage adjustment.
I have an excuse. CRS.

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby cub.bub » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks guys for the help, I am guilty of OVER thinking sometimes, but have learned it ain't all bad...LOL
I will soon post my angle blade project on the 54A, I'm pleased with how it turned out, and if this winter is anything like last.....she'll get a workout.
Thanks again, Bruce.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 pm

cub.bub wrote:Thanks guys for the help, I am guilty of OVER thinking sometimes, but have learned it ain't all bad...LOL
I will soon post my angle blade project on the 54A, I'm pleased with how it turned out, and if this winter is anything like last.....she'll get a workout.
Thanks again, Bruce.

Bruce, I hope it gathers a lot of dust this winter. I had enough of last winter to last two years. :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Tune up sequence? Update

Postby cub.bub » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:38 am

After the great information you guys shared with me I took advantage of a cold rainy Friday and tore into lil Susie.
Started with the distributor and bench set it (was a little scared) but with the reference points and your knowledge I am now a believer in this is the only way to go. Removed carb and linkage to adjust valves, they we're all a little loose by at least a full turn or so. I pulled plugs and cleaned and regaped (only a few months old), and put everything back together and fired her up. She ran a little better and then I tweaked the timing and carb to governor linkage....wow what a difference! She starts better idles down smooth and doesn't bog down when I move the touch control lever when cold.
All in all it was a fun project that made a big difference in performance, as I was cleaning up SNOW was blowing in from the North, so I,m thinking No DUST will be on the 54A blade this year Denny. :lol:
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Bruce. :thanx:

Return to “Farmall Cub”