This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fun stuff to find in oil pan

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pfrederi
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18826

Fun stuff to find in oil pan

Postby pfrederi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:48 pm

I am trying to run down a low oil pressure issue on a friends 1966 Loboy. Based on advice here (thank you all!!) Dropped the oil pan to check the main bearings. Bearings look very good did the plastigage thing and all seem to be with in spec. Now we have all found things in the oil pan of older equipment. (valve keepers, nuts and sludge come to mind).

Today was a first it was somebodies pet rock collection. Good thing the oil suction screen was intact.

I am not familiar with cubs, does any one recognize the partial washer/shim in the picture. it is not metallic some sort of bakelite/plastic, very thin (.010??)

Incidentally any further help on the low oil pressure issue would be much appreciated

IMG_1468 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1468 (1024x768).jpg (381.31 KiB) Viewed 514 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fun stuff to find in oil pan

Postby tst » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:18 pm

plastic washers are not used in the engine so maybe they tossed it in there with the rocks, if mains are good perhaps oil pump gears have to much clearance,
rule of thumb is 10 lbs pressure for every 1000 rpm, so how low is your pressure? also have seen the wrong gasket on the pump, some are to thick causing low pressure
Tim

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:37 pm

I wonder if the PO had kids and a gravel driveway. Many years ago a friend of mine had just finished putting together a freshly rebuilt big block for his truck. His 5 year old daughter always hung around the garage to "help daddy". While he cleaned off his work bench prior to putting the engine in the truck he noticed an empty 1/4" nut box on the bench. He looked at his daughter and asked. "Mallory, where are the nuts that were in this box?" She said, "In there", and pointed to the engine. She had put all the nuts in the cylinders before he had put the spark plugs in.

By the way, was the quarter in there also or just used as a reference?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:57 pm

I know I dropped sticks and pebbles into the gas tank of our MF 202 when I was around 4 or 5. I got the job to empty it a few years later when we were fixing it up.

pfrederi
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pfrederi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Barnyard wrote:I wonder if the PO had kids and a gravel driveway. Many years ago a friend of mine had just finished putting together a freshly rebuilt big block for his truck. His 5 year old daughter always hung around the garage to "help daddy". While he cleaned off his work bench prior to putting the engine in the truck he noticed an empty 1/4" nut box on the bench. He looked at his daughter and asked. "Mallory, where are the nuts that were in this box?" She said, "In there", and pointed to the engine. She had put all the nuts in the cylinders before he had put the spark plugs in.

By the way, was the quarter in there also or just used as a reference?

The quarter was for reference

pfrederi
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pfrederi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 pm

tst wrote:plastic washers are not used in the engine so maybe they tossed it in there with the rocks, if mains are good perhaps oil pump gears have to much clearance,
rule of thumb is 10 lbs pressure for every 1000 rpm, so how low is your pressure? also have seen the wrong gasket on the pump, some are to thick causing low pressure
Tim

Cold with 30w oil about 30 at full throttle 10 at idle...Warmed up 18-20 full throttle 0 at idle

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Quandary.

Plastigage readings taken with dry, no oil on the bearings or journals?

Go ahead and take the plastigage readings on the rod bearing journals.

Oil pressure gauge, checked to confirm accuracy? Engine oil thinned?

Couple other areas to check, but they require an engine tear down; oil pump, cam bearings, idler bearing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pfrederi
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby pfrederi » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:14 pm

The bearing caps were completely dried with brake clean The crank was wiped clean with paper towels. Pressure gauge was originally the one on the tractor. I replaced it with a new sunpro gauge. The new and old gauge yield very similar results. The oil had less than an hour on it with a new filter. Didn't smell any gas in it.

I went ahead and pulled the bypass valve. The spring is short from spec but some one had "extended" it with a lockwasher under the cap. The valve piston it self doesn't look all that great. I am trying to figure out how to apply 9.5lbs of pressure to the spring and measure its length all at the same time... (any ideas here would be most appreciated).

I will try a couple of rod bearings tomorrow. (Hope they come out better than my DC case last winter. Pulled the rod caps off and chunks of babbit fell out. Case DCs had poured babbit bearings...no shells $75 each for repour and bore.)

IMG_1469 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1469 (1024x768).jpg (343.69 KiB) Viewed 425 times

IMG_1470 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1470 (1024x768).jpg (412.59 KiB) Viewed 425 times

Return to “Farmall Cub”