This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

TC Pump leak questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tubby Creek Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38603
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

TC Pump leak questions

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:28 am

Hello All,

My TC reservoir keeps needing refilled and my engine oil never needs filling. so my pump o-ring needs replaced, correct? After reading several posts I realize it does

My questions are if the reservoir is low/empty will it hurt the pump to keep running the tractor even when not using the hydraulics in any way? I have lots of disking I need to do ASAP but before I have time to fix the pump. If it will hurt the pump is there anything I can do in the meantime? Like disconnect the pump?

Secondly to replace the seal/o-ring on my '49 cub does the pump come apart? From looking at posts and the "Book of Knowledge" it looks like it comes apart to replace said seal. If so this is more then I have the tools to do but a good mechanic friend that is excellent with old tractors that I have used can do it.

Any input would be helpful

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: TC Pump leak questions

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:18 am

I would be concerned about where is the TC oil level lost fluid is going. You did not mention in your post how often and how much you are are adding nor if there are any external leaks. As far as I know, the only place that the oil can go internal to the engine is into the oil sump yet you said it never needs adding oil. If the engine does not need adding oil, then I don't think the o-ring is the problem. Is it possible that the engine is using oil, either leaks or combustion? I would not feel comfortable to run the TC pump without adequate lubrication and as far as I know, the only way to disconnect it is to remove it and cover the hole with a plate. I'm sure others will weigh in with opinions.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:27 am

Yes, it will harm the hydraulic pump if the reservoir is low or empty. That is how the pump is lubricated. In addition it will likely harm your engine to run it with hydraulic fluid in the crankcase. Hydraulic fluid is a much lighter viscosity than engine oil. If you can't get to the pump repair right now, drain the hydraulic system and remove the pump. Cover the resulting hole with some type of thin material like Masonite, paneling or the like. Use the gasket as a template to cut it out. Then change the engine oil and filter.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Tubby Creek Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:21 am

Don McCombs wrote:Yes, it will harm the hydraulic pump if the reservoir is low or empty. That is how the pump is lubricated. In addition it will likely harm your engine to run it with hydraulic fluid in the crankcase. Hydraulic fluid is a much lighter viscosity than engine oil. If you can't get to the pump repair right now, drain the hydraulic system and remove the pump. Cover the resulting hole with some type of thin material like Masonite, paneling or the like. Use the gasket as a template to cut it out. Then change the engine oil and filter.

My first post was meant to be a little humorous. I understand hydro is not only thinner but a cleanser/detergent and I will be changing it out pronto. Up until recently I have always needed to add a bit of oil to it every few hours of use. Realizing it is the hydro i understand the engine consequences.Thanks for the info on a cover plate.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:53 am

1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:41 am

If your hyd pump is leaking, there's a good likelyhood that the drive shaft on the pump is worn or scored. It's an o-ring that makes that seal and if your shaft is too far gone with wear just replacing the o-ring may not solve the problem. Examine the shaft in the sealing area, where the o-ring rides on it. If it's badly worn you may have to search for another pump.

The Riot

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:43 am

Tubby,

As for tools, a set of combination wrenches and a couple of sockets w/ratchet will be more than enough tools to complete the job. Rebuild hydraulic pump sounds intimidating, but it is simple. Do pay particular attention to the placement of the figure 8 'springie thingie.' :) :)

Bill
Last edited by Bill Hudson on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:18 am

TM has the cover you need - http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/735fp.htm
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Tubby Creek Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Update question TC Pump leak questions

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 am

I think I'm going to need a new pump. My Cub is a 1949 is there any changes in later models? Or is a Cub hydro pump similar through the years?

Thanks

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 am

There were changes through the years, but they were essentially all internal. Any Cub pump should work. However, why do you think you need to replace the pump? Did you try, unsuccessfully, to rebuild your current one?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 am

It sounds like time is an issue. Therefore, drain the hydro unit and remove the pump. Install the plate as suggested and change your engine oil and filter. Do your disking. Your Cub will work fine with the pump removed and plate in place. You may want to put a little Permatex No. 2 sealer around the face of the plate to prevent engine oil from leaking out.

Afterward, when time is not a pressing issue, disassemble the pump and investigate condition as described in Mike's link of the How-To. When ready to work on the pump, be sure to have a jug of HyTran or your favorite hydraulic fluid on hand for reassembly and refill.

Let us know how it goes.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”