This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New to me cub, won't start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MurseCole
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01524

New to me cub, won't start

Postby MurseCole » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi there!

My dad just purchased a 1948 cub and had it shipped to us. Overall it seems in fairly good condition, still has all original sheet metal intact and nothing beyond what I would consider normal wear and tear. The shipper said that the seller drove it right on to the trailer. When he went to start it to drive it off, it made a click and then nothing. We charged the battery thinking maybe it didn't have enough of a charge, but still nothing. I am fairly handy but I do not know a lot about electrical systems and I am not even sure where to start. I know the info I need is probably on here somewhere, just not sure exactly what I am looking for. The tractor is still a 6v setup.

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Re: New to me cub, won't start

Postby gusbratz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:35 pm

make sure the connections are clean shiny metal between the battery terminals the battery cables. between the ground and cable. between the starter switch and cable. connections need to be tight and clean. even more important on 6v system.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Welcome to the forum (best source of information about Farmall Cubs). The problem you are experiencing sounds like a bad electrical connection, could be positive or negitave or both. The cub starter grounds to the chasis of the tractor so make sure it has good metal to metal contact at the mounting to the bell housing. Wire brush and or sandpaper away any rust/paint or anything that could act as an insulator. Clean all battery connections and cables (both ends), make sure they are shiney bright clean. If the positive cable (ground) is not connected to the frame of the tractor, try moving it from the inside of the battery box to a bolt like the transmission cover. If these steps do not get electrical power for the starter to turn, the switch mounted to the starter where the pull rod connects and the battery cable connects might need the contact surfaces inside the switch cleaned or the switch replaced. It is probably not a serious problem, just have to find the place where the electricity is not flowing. Good Luck and keep posting the progress. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:20 pm

The guys have you pretty well covered. After following their directions and still no start.

The 6 volt battery, have it tested at your local auto parts store. Could very well be in poor condition.

The seller could have jump started the tractor to drive it on to the trailer or van.
I have an excuse. CRS.

MurseCole
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby MurseCole » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:20 pm

The seller supposedly put a brand new battery in it for us. It looks new anyways. I hooked my charger up to it and it says charged. I took the connections off the battery and cleaned them. Also cleaned the ground for the positive. The cable for the ground is not in the best shape, but when i was disconnecting it from the frame it was sparking a little. I took the connections off the switch on the starter (the one the pull rod connects to) and cleaned them off. Also took the switch off and cleaned the contacts. Nothing. I notice when I pull the on/off switch out to on the amperes gauge only goes to 2 or 3...what should it go to?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:34 pm

You can check the starter operation by using booster cables to go directly from the battery to the starter. Connect the jumper cables: positive (ground) post of the battery to one of the bolts that secure the starter to the bell housing and the other jumper cable to the negative at the battery. Remove the switch that you cleaned and touch the other end of the negative cable to the brass post of the starter. If you have good connections and a hot battery your starter will begin to turn. If not, you have a problem with the starter which will require disassembly to troubleshoot. Any good automotive electrical shop should be able to test the starter.
Stan in LA (lower AL)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Is the battery a six volt battery?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

sford
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32321
eBay ID: thegreatford
Tractors Owned: cub loboy
cub
loboy 154

Postby sford » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:27 pm

I have had the starter bind in the flywheel. Just try to push it off and pop the clutch and if that is the problem it should free up. Happened to me once.

MurseCole
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby MurseCole » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:47 am

I tried using the cables as stated above...just a lot of sparking when I touch to the contact on the starter. Will try popping the clutch later and see if that helps.

MurseCole
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby MurseCole » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:54 pm

After popping the clutch, the starter now sounds like it is spinning up! However, nothing happens beyond that point. Gear in neutral, clutch in, choke out, starter knob pulled out, throttle at 1/3-1/2 and starter just sounds like it's spinning up. Any thoughts? Maybe battery not charged enough for starter to catch? I'm only showing about 3ish on the amperes meter.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:23 pm

MurseCole wrote:After popping the clutch, the starter now sounds like it is spinning up! However, nothing happens beyond that point. Gear in neutral, clutch in, choke out, starter knob pulled out, throttle at 1/3-1/2 and starter just sounds like it's spinning up. Any thoughts? Maybe battery not charged enough for starter to catch? I'm only showing about 3ish on the amperes meter.

It sounds like the pinion gear on the starter spins but does not move out on the drive shaft and engage the ring gear. You may need a new starter drive.
Have you tried to start the tractor with a hand crank?
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

MurseCole
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby MurseCole » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:19 pm

I am not sure how to start the tractor with a hand crank...I'm not sure if it has one? Or how to do it. Do they make replacement starters?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:53 pm

MurseCole wrote:Do they make replacement starters?
Yes, actually rebuilt starters.

Disconnect one cable from the battery. Then remove the starter from the tractor.

There should be a shop in your area that repairs starters and generators.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 pm

Eugene wrote:
MurseCole wrote:Do they make replacement starters?
Yes, actually rebuilt starters.

Disconnect one cable from the battery. Then remove the starter from the tractor.

There should be a shop in your area that repairs starters and generators.

This should repair your starter at considerably less cost than replacement. If you decide to try hand cranking the engine, the crank installs in the hole below the radiator and the end with the pin catches in the crankshaft pulley. Replacements are available or you can make one from 5/8" rod. Search the forum for the pattern showing the dimensions.

EDIT: When you remove the starter, check the teeth on the ring gear. I have one that the engine must be turned about 1/4 turn from the position where the starter "spins up" before the starter will engage the flywheel. If you don't have a hand crank and cannot turn the engine with the fan, you can put the transmission in 3rd gear and "advance" the engine by pushing on the rear tire to roll the crankshaft about 1/4 turn.
Stan in LA (lower AL)

Return to “Farmall Cub”