This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub-22 Mower height wheel

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub-22 Mower height wheel

Postby WaMoo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Hello,
I know some companies have offered caster wheels that attach on the ends of their sickle-bar mowers, in order to cut higher, such as clipping pastures. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has fabricated this for their Cub-22? And if so, how did you do it?

Thanks!
Wamoo
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Cub-22 Mower height wheel

Postby Scrivet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:30 pm

If I want to cut higher I raise the hydraulics.
If I want to cut even higher I set the inner shoe on a block and take a couple links out of the lift chain.
I don't see the need for a guide wheel but it shouldn't be to hard to bolt something on if you so desire. There's plenty of things bolted onto the bar, just get some longer bolts and add to what's there. Just be aware of wheel placement. If the cut grass falls on it you may have to unwrap it frequently. If you stick it to far out the end of the mower you'll be running over what you'll be cutting next time around.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Scrivet wrote:If I want to cut higher I raise the hydraulics.
If I want to cut even higher I set the inner shoe on a block and take a couple links out of the lift chain.
:thanx:

I've thought of that, but then I consider that the outer shoe sole is there to support the cutter bar. With bar end just hanging out in the air, that's a lot of weight cantilevered out there.

I do plan to use the chain to support the inside. I only ask about the wheel because I've seen a John Deere one that was a factory option, and I know others have fabricated them. I was just curious if anyone here has specifically fabricated one for a Cub-22.
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:44 pm

That sickle bar is pretty tough and "springy". I wouldn't worry about the weight. If the far end gets to bouncing up and down you're going to fast.

If you want to do a wheel, that outer shoe is probably your best bet. Remove it and install a J hook in the hole in front. Take a flat bar and bolt it to where the shoe height adjustment used to be and sticks straight down. Bolt your wheel onto the lower end of the flat bar. Connect the J hook to the flat bar to provide support against the flat bar twisting to the rear.

Or remove the whole outer shoe, grassboard and all. If you're clipping up in the air you wont need it. Make a bracket that fits the holes on the end of the bar that used to hold the outer shoe.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Scrivet wrote:Remove it and install a J hook in the hole in front. Take a flat bar and bolt it to where the shoe height adjustment used to be and sticks straight down. Bolt your wheel onto the lower end of the flat bar. Connect the J hook to the flat bar to provide support against the flat bar twisting to the rear.

I like this idea! Thanks!
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi,
Here are some pics from an IH mower brochure from years ago. IH had wheels available for some of the sickle bar mowers. The 3rd pic shows them. The inner wheel was for the number 28 mower, which is for some other model of tractor, but a similar thing could be made for the Cub 22 mower. So could the outer wheel. :)
Attachments
Mower.jpg
Mower.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Mower 4.jpg
Mower 4.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Mower 5.jpg
Mower 5.jpg (87.01 KiB) Viewed 770 times

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:18 pm

Well, here's what I came up with. I used the ideas here, as well as some vintage illustrations in Lynn Miller's Horse Drawn Mower Book ( A sickle bar is a sickle bar... The bar on my IH #9 horse-drawn mower is the same as my Cub-22). It'll be spring before I test it out, but should serve my needs ok.
Attachments
IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 655 times
IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1325.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 655 times
IMG_1324.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg (40.14 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:13 pm

I got the mower re-mounted, and took it for a spin. I have to report that so-far, so-good. The wheel works just like I wanted it too.

As a side note, I really like Ace Hardware's "International Blue" paint... I can't say I'm a fan of their "International Red" though. The coverage is terrible. My favorite IH red in a rattle can is Van Sickle. The hue and coverage is real nice.
Attachments
IMG_1650.jpg
IMG_1649.jpg
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:43 pm

That is a pretty slick set up. I am not a fan of how low mine cuts, even with the shoes set to cut as high as possible. I always wondered how a sickle mower set up high with a caster wheel like yours would cut. I would think it might push some material over before it was cut. Of course, we are not talking about finish mower. --Lee
Circle of Safety

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:31 pm

LeeC wrote:That is a pretty slick set up. I am not a fan of how low mine cuts, even with the shoes set to cut as high as possible. I always wondered how a sickle mower set up high with a caster wheel like yours would cut. I would think it might push some material over before it was cut. Of course, we are not talking about finish mower. --Lee

I didn't have any problem with material being pushed over, but the grass was already pretty tall. Also, I usually don't go too fast, second gear with half throttle or less. Sharp knife, good ledgers, and tuned up probably helps as well.
Chewelah, WA
~George Washington