This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Generator Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Generator Question

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Generator back on. New (shorter) belt. Fan belt and gen belt set to tension as per the Manual. Fired it up, no output. Shut it off. Polarized the generator by briefly touching the BAT terminal to the GEN terminal on the cutout. Re-started, same issue with no indication it's charging from the needle on the ammeter. Although, the high pitched squeal when the knob is turned to HIGH CHARGE is now gone.

I've run out of time before surgery. Friday's looming large and I have too much to get done. I did get the front blade and chains on. Even after 6 weeks of recovery, the thought of mounting a blade in the cold didn't sound too appealing.

It's a mag, 6V setup, so will keep the battery maintainer on it all winter (like last winter) and then load it up next Spring and haul it to one of the Cubfests and let the experts see what we can figure out. Just won't run the lights this winter if I push snow.

Thanks ya'll for your help.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

UK-Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: LA9

Postby UK-Cub » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Best wishes for your speedy recovery?

David
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:05 am

Disassembled the generator and gave it a good cleaning last week. Seemed to be fairly dirty and oily inside, which was not good. Cleaned the communicator, examined and reset the brushes, and made sure there were no cracks or openings in the wires. Used liquid electrical tape to close one nick. Inspected the plastic isolators at the field and armature posts. Reassembled and reinstalled on Cub.

Had bought a new field resistor and dimmer coil from TM Tractor for the back of my 4-position light switch. In this process I also removed and cleaned each electrical connection on the back of the switch housing.

Saturday, with tractor off, the battery was showing 6.3 volts. Started and after running up to mid-to-full throttle, turned the switch to High Charge. No squealing. Ammeter showed charge (unlike before) and battery was showing 7+ volts. Also, the new field resistor took care of the old issue with my ammeter needle bouncing around.

Glad to have Nellie charging again. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:53 pm

Something to keep in mind on a cutout style charging system is the importance of the light switch to frame ground. If the case of the light switch does not have a clean and paint free connection to the dash, that can cause charging problems, as was the problem in my case. It took alot of troubleshooting and maintenance ( and help from people here on the forum) before I finally found that to be the main issue.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:39 am

Think I can finally put this issue to rest.

After replacing my clutch on the '47 at the NE OK CubFest, Bob McCarty suggested the squealing from setting the generator on high was my fan belt was undersized and stretched. I replaced the 1/2" with a proper 5/8" fan belt, oiled the fan hub and it works fine. Generator set to high charge didn't make a sound and a good strong charge.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ericksn4
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 61414

Postby ericksn4 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Lots of great information on here for a newb like me. Look forward to learning as I go. My 50 cub doesn't need much now, but it's great to have a resource like this to turn to. Thanks everyone!