This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Running again but not getting power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Running again but not getting power

Postby Jason (IL) » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 am

With the shorter days I can not really mow past 7 here anymore so it has led to some more free time in the shop. I have had this cub sitting there all summer waiting to figure out what is going wrong here. The Cub was running real sluggish, sputtering every time in increased the throttle. I figured dirty carb? Well I did a complete rebuild of it and put it on and found no improvements at all. So I went online and ordered a new carb from Bates Corp. Well that ended with the same result, I needed a Carb for my Demo Cub anyway so nothing lost there. I was confused and took things a little further, I check for vacuum leaks around the manifold and didn't see any at first and then with a second check found a leak on the bottom side behind the carb. Took the manifold off, cleaned it up really good, had to grind a few high spots down, installed new gaskets and put it all back together. I started it up and runs good now.

The cub runs goods drives good but under a load it seems to have little power. I feel the governor is not kicking in when needed. Is there an easy adjustment for this. I am not to familiar with adjusting governors?

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Running again but not getting power

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:04 am

Timing light. Check and double check the ignition system. See if the distributor's mechanical advance is working. Search for any other ignition problem.

Ignition system OK, move on to the governor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:41 am

When is the last time that the valves were adjusted?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Bring it over to West Lafayette and we can run it on the Dyno
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Jason (IL) wrote:......... The cub runs goods drives good but under a load it seems to have little power. I feel the governor is not kicking in when needed...........
Little power could be the valves or timing as has been mentioned. Make sure those are both correct.

As far as "governor not kicking in", before tearing into the governor, make sure there is NO movement between the governor rockshaft (from the carb) and the governor rockshaft spring lever. Shine a bright light in there and move the lever where the carb rod attaches. If they don't move as one piece you need to fix it. The whole thing works on about 5 degrees of movement. 1 degree of slop is a 20 percent loss of movement and delays the governors reaction if it can react at all by then.

Return to “Farmall Cub”