This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thank heavens it is fall - Stopped and won't start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Thank heavens it is fall - Stopped and won't start

Postby Hengy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:34 am

Glad that it is Fall and my grass is not growing fast! Last week, Merlin, my 1949 Cub was mowing along nicely when all of a sudden, in the middle of a cut, he stopped running like I pushed the kill switch. Checked the fuel, and it was almost empty. Since my lot is anything by flat, I assumed that I had drained the carb and it was out of fuel. Added fuel and went to restart...nothing...not even a pop. The tractor has a mag, and I haven't been using a battery for two years, so I have been hand cranking. No problem, I can drift down the yard in 3rd and try starting it that way. Nothing...not a pop. I get to the bottom of the yard, and leave the tractor sit for a bit. Hooked the tractor up behind my wife's Silverado. Pulled back up into the field next to the house, and still nothing. Saw fuel vapor coming out of the stack, so it is getting fuel. Must be the mag.

Hooked up the spark tester to the #1 plug wire. Hand cranked through 8 revolutions. No spark to the plug wire. HMMM... Removed the kill switch wire and tried it again. Still no spark. HMMM... Bought a distributor kit and changed the points and condenser (burnished the points to make sure no varnish on them)...Reinstalled mag. Still no spark. I'm perplexed. This mag is no more than 4 years off of a complete rebuild and the coil looks brand new inside. Just seems odd that it would fail like turning off the switch!

Now what to do? I was planning on a 12V Conversion anyhow, but was not planning on a distributor conversion! I guess that is now on the schedule. The only thing left would be the coil in the mag... just seems odd that it would have failed like that so quickly. I have made sure that the mag is not grounded with the kill switch wire, but don't know how to confirm that it isn't internally shorted...

Just flummoxed...

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Thank heavens it is fall - Stopped and won't start

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:44 am

Since you are converting to 12 volts.
Eugene wrote:The old farmer fix. Remove mag's internal coil and install an external coil. You will need a coil with resister, switch, and some electrical wire, and a plug wire.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:54 am

I'd blame the coil. Since it's a "new" one, the quality probably isn't what it was, back in '49.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:48 am

What is everyone's experience with the Brillman Coils? Are they decent or am I likely to have problems with them right out of the box?
Image Image

Tractorboy3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20707
Tractors Owned: ........
1950 H
1952 Super C
1954 Cub
1957 Cub
1958 Cub
1995 Cub Cadet 1440

Postby Tractorboy3 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:31 pm

Not intending to Hi-jack...I had the same thing happen yesterday with the Super C, Mag ignition with original?? coil. After 15 minutes just quit. Pulled the mag apart to look for obvious fault..none found…put it back together..hot spark now…I've heard that when an old failing coil heats up..it can short internally and fail..then after cooling off..back to OK..Is there any way to check the coil..Ohm meter shows less than 1 ohm…Looking at the Brillman coils myself this morning….Interested in what you come up with….
'50 H, '52 Super C, '54 Cub, '57 Cub, '58 Cub, '95 Cub Cadet 1440

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Hengy wrote:What is everyone's experience with the Brillman Coils? Are they decent or am I likely to have problems with them right out of the box?

Mike, I don't know about Brillmans, Should be good. Try Mark's magnetos , Colchester, Ct 860 537 0376 Mark carries quality stuff.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks, Ed...
Image Image

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:18 pm

The Magneto service manual should have exact value for a coil test, but if a secondary coil test is higher than 10-20 kilo ohms, then your coil has a problem.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Mike:

You can also check with Jon aka Magman - he sent me a coil - I put it in one of me mags - still works like a charm :-) I think it is an AI aftermarket but it does what it is supposed to do. Wasn't all that expensive and keeps that particular Cub as it was...If I remember correctly it is the mag on Granny.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Larry Miller
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61275

Postby Larry Miller » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:24 pm

I had same type of problem - turned out to be coil wire to distributor - easy fix after checking all the stuff you did.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 pm

Mike,

Could be a short, typically through the kill switch stud. Sometimes that insulator cracks, and the spark will follow the crack to ground. I don't know how long today's coils "should" last, partly because I have heard so many horror stories, and partly because I think the usage and treatment of them can vary so much. Those two things may be related, meaning that some people with short-lived coils may have been partly responsible. For example, never spin a magneto without somewhere for the spark to go, that will burn up a coil in a moment. Another bad habit is over-oiling the magneto, they only need a few drops each year. I'm certainly not saying that is your case, since you were in the middle of running. Just using your post to soapbox a bit. My own experience is that I have 3 magnetos, rebuilt in 2007, 2008, and probably 2009. All three are running strong today, no telling how long they will go.....
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:21 am

Agree with Rick.....I had to replace the insulator on the stud on my mag. Been hand-cranking ever since. What I did to narrow it down was to get some liquid tape and coat the cracked insulator (It was a very fine crack not very visible to the naked eye) really good, That worked until I received my new insulator from TM tractor.
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:56 am

Just a quick followup on this thread. It was indeed the coil in the Magneto. Replaced the points and condensor and still no fire, then I ordered a new coil from Brillman. They were great to work with and the coil arrived to my house in two days from when I ordered. Removed the old coil and removed the core from the coil. Reinstalled the core to the coil and coil in the mag.

Reinstalled the mag and times per the video that I posted on YouTube and the tractor fired on the second pull of the hand crank and runs like a Swiss watch again.

I'm still relatively new to all things engine, but I am surprised that the coil failed that suddenly.

All is good on Hengelsberg Hill again.
Image Image

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:06 am

And just one more quick note. The magneto has never been off the tractor since I finished painting it several years ago, and I agree with Rick that you should always have a path for the spark to travel or the coil would fail. One thing I did notice was a small amount of oil on the bottom of the old coil. My mag seal leaks despite replacing it twice now. I'm wondering if the oil got in the mag from the seal and that is what caused the premature failure of the coil... Guess I'll never really know, but at least it is fixed and it runs great now!!
Image Image

Poncho
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55906

Postby Poncho » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Mike,
My 1950 cub would quit on me while mowing the lawn. It would start a few hours later. Then one day I had to haul it to the garage. Went to an old Farmall Mechanic and I told him the story. He said it was the coil. Replaced it and it has worked since. I know yours quit from the get go. My replacement is a newer style but it has been working for several years. This summer I have been working on a few other things and it wouldn't start at times but that was mostly wires and the last time was the insulating washer on my distributor that I changed. I put the old cork washer/ gasket on and it has been fine. Glad you got it fixed. Nothing sadder than having a fun tractor stumping us, great feeling when you pull starter and it runs. :-)
1950 Demonstrator Cub
Woods 59 Mower
Cub 54A Blade
Cub 22 Sickle Mower
Model 100 McCormick spreader

Return to “Farmall Cub”