This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub not charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub not charging

Postby Chris Jones » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 am

From the amp meter my fathers cub is not charging. I think it's a '62. It has electric start, battery ignition (as opposed to mag) and front an rear lights. The front lights have never worked but he never cared and still doesn't so I've never bothered to find out why. When I pull the ignition out the amp meter goes to slight discharge which I suspect is normal as current should be going to the coil. When running I tried turning the charge/light switch but it has no impact on the amp meter except increased discharge when the rear light comes on. Any advise on quick steps to identify the problem w/o having to remove the hood? Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub not charging

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:03 am

Alternator or generator?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Generator, I didn't know cubs ever had alternators.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85294

2nd post in above topic is a diagnostic flow chart for generator powered electrical systems.

Without knowing the problem source, removing the hood would facilitate the diagnostic process and make repairs easier.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Chris Jones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chris Jones » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Thank you, I'll give it a try next time I'm over his house--probably this weekend. I emailed him and asked if he had a 3 or 4 position light switch and if his "voltage regulator" had 3 or 2 tabs on it for wires so I'd know if it was truly a voltage regulator or just a cut out. I'm pretty certain it's a voltage regulator but I also thought his switch was a 4 position switch which is contradictory, so hopefully he can check and tell me.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Chris Jones wrote:......... I'm pretty certain it's a voltage regulator but I also thought his switch was a 4 position switch which is contradictory, so hopefully he can check and tell me.
Depends on which four position switch it is. There's a L H D B switch ( low high dim bright ) and an O D B R switch ( off dim bright rear ). TM decal page says LHDB was up to mid 1950, there was an ODB ( off dim bright ) from mid 1950 to late 1958, and ODBR was from late 1958 on. Thanks TM! :{_}:

Return to “Farmall Cub”