This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Regarrr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48137

Throttle

Postby Regarrr » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Does anyone have information, or know where I can find information on "tuning" the throttle? I think the Cub that I have is early 60's but there was know data plate to know for sure.

Anyway, here's a little background. When I got the tractor, it ran pretty decent, but the throttle lever did nothing except bend the linkage. So I was basically stuck at one throttle setting. Under load, sometimes the engine would rev up and plow through and sometimes it would peter out. I thought the reason was the governor. So I took off the governor housing and found the bellcrank from the throttle lever linkage to the spring was seized. I took that apart and cleaned it and it now moves easily. So now the throttle lever actually moves the linkage, but now the tractor is running very poorly. I've messed with the adjustable fork end link on the right side front that leads from the governor to the carburetor, the screw on the back side of the carburetor, and the set screw in the governor housing, but I really don't know how they should be set up. Guessing and trial and error aren't getting me very far.

If anyone has a link to information or knows how to get a base setting that I could tweak, that would be greatly appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throttle

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Check your ignition timing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Regarrr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Regarrr » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Is there anything related to the fuel system that I should look into before checking the ignition timing? I can pretty much guarantee that anything related to fuel or throttle is out of adjustment. I just don't know where to start when it comes to adjusting them.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Eugene wrote:Check your ignition timing.
You removed the governor.
Eugene wrote:Check your ignition timing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Regarrr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Regarrr » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:20 pm

I'm sorry, I think I was unclear, I only removed the cover, I didn't remove the actual governor.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 pm

I don't know where to start on this but please stop "trying things" until you know what they do. You have probably created a lot more work and trouble for yourself. In the heading above is "Rudi's Manuals" later on spend some time poking around there. For now lets just get you to the Fuel System Blue Ribbon Service Manual and have you spend a little time reading. There's a carb section and governor section that will give you some insight. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1132%20Fuel%20System/GSS-1132%20Fuel%20System.htm

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:01 pm

Okay, I agree with Eugene and Scrivet, at this point you need to stop messing and guessing.

Regarrr wrote:I've messed with the adjustable fork end link on the right side front that leads from the governor to the carburetor,

Read this for starters and then we can go to the next step. Start at the third paragraph.

carb-adj.JPG
carb-adj.JPG (79.18 KiB) Viewed 658 times
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:59 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. This site is loaded with a ton of information. There are Service Manuals, there are threads discussing just about everything, there are how to sections. And for a new guy it may be a whole lot of information, but start digging in one piece at a time, get the answer to it, move on to the next. Then there are folks who can help with the answer. So kick back in front of the computer and enjoy the information on this great site.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:40 am

You need to "time" the governor to the carburetor throttle now that you've changed the link on that side. It's pretty simple:

0. Tractor OFF.
1. Disconnect the linkage running to the carburetor from the governor end by removing the pin from the yoke.
2. Set the throttle lever at the seat to FULL. This should force the arm that connects to the carburetor linkage all the way forward.
3. Adjust the length of the carburetor linkage so the pin just slides through the yoke when you are pulling the carburetor throttle to wide open.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:You need to "time" the governor to the carburetor throttle now that you've changed the link on that side. It's pretty simple:

0. Tractor OFF.
1. Disconnect the linkage running to the carburetor from the governor end by removing the pin from the yoke.
2. Set the throttle lever at the seat to FULL. This should force the arm that connects to the carburetor linkage all the way forward.
3. Adjust the length of the carburetor linkage so the pin just slides through the yoke when you are pulling the carburetor throttle to wide open.

I just want to make sure I did this right, it sure helped so far and I hope it works for Regarrr:

I set the throttle to full

Then I disconnected the carb rod from the governor lever

Then after turning the yoke 10 full turns I ended up with this

I do notice that the engine surges now, it seems to calm down after a bit. I can tell you I can climb up my driveway in 2nd gear without it bogging down like it used to forcing me to drop down to 1st gear.

Scott
Last edited by PoconoCub on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)

Postby Radec Aksarben » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:54 pm

PoconoCub wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:You need to "time" the governor to the carburetor throttle now that you've changed the link on that side. It's pretty simple:

0. Tractor OFF.

I just want to make sure I did this right, it sure helped so for and I hope it works for Regarrr:

I set the throttle to full

Then I disconnected the carb rod from the governor lever

Then after turning the yoke 10 full turns I ended up with this

I do notice that the engine surges now, it seems to calm down after a bit. I can tell you I can climb up my driveway in 2nd gear without it bogging down like it used to forcing me to drop down to 1st gear.

Scott

If you read the governor section of the blue ribbon manual posted above by scrivet, it talks about how to solve the surging problem. It might be as simple as adjusting the low idle bumper.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:34 pm

WOW.... with the adjustments that I made to the governor today I was able to back up my 300 foot uphill driveway with the throttle at just past 1/2 way. In the 12 years that I have owned the 57 I have never been able to do that, I was only able to make it part way up before it bogged down before.

Now I will have to ask mama for some money to do a tune up on her since it has been 12 years since the last one :(

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:45 pm

If you are going to do a major tuneup such as points, plugs, dist cap, rotor, etc. and you have a distributor not a mag, I would encourgage you to consider switching to a Petronix electronic ignition. You will be amazed at the increase in performance. JMHO.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:53 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:If you are going to do a major tuneup such as points, plugs, dist cap, rotor, etc. and you have a distributor not a mag, I would encourgage you to consider switching to a Petronix electronic ignition. You will be amazed at the increase in performance. JMHO.

I do have a mag on the 57, but was considering switching to a regular distributor and installing a Petronix, of course I would have to get permission from mama :)

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:37 pm

PoconoCub wrote:.......Now I will have to ask mama for some money to do a tune up on her since it has been 12 years since the last one :(

Scott
Don't know about the pertronix, but if it's been 12 years since a tune up, dare I ask how long it's been since a valve clearance adjustment check? Another possible area to get a little improvement from.

Return to “Farmall Cub”