This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

French Cubs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
UK-Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: LA9
Circle of Safety: Y

French Cubs

Postby UK-Cub » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I asked a question in response to a question by Ian D; Bob Mcarty suggested I get a new topic going - hope I got the two names right.

From what I understand and believe French Cubs and US Cubs are the same except for maybe

Electrics
Carb

Can anyone definitively confirm this please?

And

Can anyone name a UK source for parts?

Kind regards, David
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: French Cubs

Postby tst » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:05 pm

I have seen different hood emblems,carbs, ignition,charging system on french cubs from USA cubs
Tim

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm

didn't French cubs also include a foot operated throttle that was not available on American cubs? I assume it would be included under electrical, but the lights are different.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:55 pm

Parts. Your local auto parts store. Most are common. Easily cross referenced. Talk to the old guy behind the counter.

Case/IH (Case, International Harvester) and New Holland Dealerships.

Actually don't think finding parts locally will be that difficult.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Eugene, It's a French Cub and he's in the UK.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:22 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Eugene, It's a French Cub and he's in the UK.
Yes. I understood the manufacture of the Cub and the owner's location. However, I lived for 8 years in Europe.

Case, International Harvester, New Holland (sticker symbol CNHI) is a major, world wide, international firm. There are probably less expensive places to purchase parts. The spark plugs are probably standard, 18MM. The electrical system is probably a Bosch.

The problem is not obtaining parts, it's identifying their application. Example, same French Cub ignition points were also used in ???? cars, trucks, farm tractors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Eugene, My mistake, sorry.

David, If you click on PDF Manuals in the tool bar above, you can scroll down to French Cubs. The scans aren't very good (and in French), but may be somewhat helpful if you don't have any of that info already.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 pm

If you can obtain a copy of the French Cub dealership manuals, probably good to go. Typically the first part of the manual was in the local language with definitions/translations. The remainder of the manual was in English and or Arabic numerals
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Based on Eugene's suggestion to find a dealer: http://www.caseih.com/en_gb/Pages/Deale ... ion=Kendal
C.T. Hayton, Ltd. on Sandylands Road.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

UK-Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: LA9

Postby UK-Cub » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks for all these replies and suggestions; Kendal is a small town of less than 30,000 and I know CT Hayton's (the local Case IH dealer) well though I haven't plucked up the courage to ask for parts* - I will next week when I'm back in the UK.

* A/F sockets (and BSW/BSF) used to be easy to locate but not now, all metric. I popped in to Hayton's to supplement what I'd got and spent £17/$25 on 4. A week later at a tractor show I picked up duplicates for less than £1, mind you the diesel to the show and entrance money was probably £50!

I had looked at the PDF manuals and the French ones are pretty poor, no reflection on those who posted them, and if I manage to get any better I shall certainly share them with this forum.

Yes to John, mine does have a foot throttle but given the placing of the brake levers and the need to dismount the tractor at the front, the throttle lever is a little inconvenient/awkward.

Again apologies but on the matter of spark plugs, what is the recommendation? oh dear not another hornets nest I trust.

My electrics are French not German (Bosch) ill post pictures next week.

David
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 am

UK-Cub wrote:what is the recommendation? oh dear not another hornets nest I trust

Yes, I regret to say that that question will stir things up. Some will say that the OEM Champions are junk, but I've always had good luck. Many swear by Autolite, but I tried a set and didn't like them.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:35 am

bythepond88 wrote:
UK-Cub wrote:what is the recommendation? oh dear not another hornets nest I trust

Yes, I regret to say that that question will stir things up. Some will say that the OEM Champions are junk, but I've always had good luck. Many swear by Autolite, but I tried a set and didn't like them.
Even the issue of heat rating brings strong opinions out. Bottom line, use whatever brand you personally prefer, crossed to the equivalent Champion. If you are only going to be running for short periods of time, go with the hotter D-21 (or equivalent) If you are going to be running an hour or more, go with the cooler D-15.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 am

UK-Cub wrote:On the matter of spark plugs, what is the recommendation?
Engine tune up. Check the condition of each spark plug. Use the same brand. Heat range can be adjusted to engine condition.

Champion is a popular brand of spark plugs carried in USA auto parts stores. But that doesn't mean they are better than any other brand.
I have an excuse. CRS.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:43 am

bythepond88 wrote:

I'll probably get shot for this, but Autolite IMHO is the best. My 57 is still running on the same Autolite plugs I put in 12 years ago and I run the poor thing rugged. My 53 has Champions and depending on use get replaced every year or two, but now that I used up all the Champions I had it to is being changed over to Autolite like the 57 and 43 run.

BTW I also use Autolite in my Lincoln Town Car, F150 Pickup, the wifes Toyota Camry and my Craftsman LTX 1000 Lawn Tractor :)
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:55 pm

David:

I happen to have the T5-FR as jpegs which are much clearer if that is any help to you. You will need a gmail email account which is friendlier to manual transfer's than reg email. Let me know..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship