This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Even more starting issues

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Even more starting issues

Postby Rick Spivey » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Yes, set the point gap with the rubbing block on the high point of the cam. That rubbing block needs some grease behind it, which should have come with the new point set. The other half of the point set should be loosened, and slid to set the gap at 0.020:, Tighten it down, recheck (sometimes they move when tightening), when you get it, button it up and it should start,
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:48 pm

robertw144 wrote:What I don't know how to do is adjust the points.
Roll the engine over by hand (fan) until the lobe (highest point) of the distributor cam is directly under the rubbing block (piece that elevates the points). Then set the points to .020.

You will have to loosen the screw holding down the points just a bit. On the end of the points is a slot for a screw driver. Using the slot you can adjust/move the points to obtain the gap. Tighten down the screw holding the points.

After setting the points you will need to static time the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

robertw144
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 34736

Postby robertw144 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:25 pm

PLUS, there is a screw that goes though an insulator through the distributor from the coil. I think this feeds the points. This keeps coming loose in just a minutes of tryin to turn the engine over.

Robert
Robert Gross
Groveland, FL
1955 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Check your parts manual for how the screw is assembled. There are two nuts on the outside of the distributor and a washer or two.
I have an excuse. CRS.

robertw144
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 34736

Postby robertw144 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:10 am

Got the points properly gapped and charged the battery. Still nothing. I'm not sure this is the right hobby for me...
Robert Gross
Groveland, FL
1955 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 am

robertw144 wrote:Got the points properly gapped and charged the battery. Still nothing. I'm not sure this is the right hobby for me...
Before you give up. spend some time reading up on battery powered points ignition systems, theory and operation. Also diagnostic tools such as the multimeter and a test light.

Suggest taking the tractor to a Cub fest and getting on their to-do list. Plenty of experts at a Cub Fest.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:07 am

Something doesn't sound right about the terminal screw (stud) coming loose in minutes. If that shorts to the distributor housing you will not get a spark. I would check that the stud has a correct insulator on it, usually plastic and extends through the distributor housing, and then an insulating washer on the outside. There is one nut to tighten it into the housing, then the coil feed wire, then another nut. That is a prime place for a ground fault.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”