This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall Cub Starting issue...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brownth2
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78380

Farmall Cub Starting issue...

Postby brownth2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:08 pm

I have a 1950 Farmall Cub. I have been having to hand crank it for the last 6 months or so. With the hand crank, it starts great, 1st or 2nd turnover, I don't even choke it, unless it really cold, which in South Texas doesn't happen too often. However I'd like to use the pull start feature. It stopped working when I had some oil spill over the starter module. Today I took off the little module, cleaned it, and then put it back on, still nothing. Any ideas? please let me know as I'm getting tired of hand cranking!

PS - As a side note I have a cub and a half (non-running) that I'm going to have to get rid of. Let me know if anyone might be interested.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Cub Starting issue...

Postby PoconoCub » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:23 pm

brownth2 wrote:I have a 1950 Farmall Cub. I have been having to hand crank it for the last 6 months or so. With the hand crank, it starts great, 1st or 2nd turnover, I don't even choke it, unless it really cold, which in South Texas doesn't happen too often. However I'd like to use the pull start feature. It stopped working when I had some oil spill over the starter module. Today I took off the little module, cleaned it, and then put it back on, still nothing. Any ideas? please let me know as I'm getting tired of hand cranking!

PS - As a side note I have a cub and a half (non-running) that I'm going to have to get rid of. Let me know if anyone might be interested.

There are a couple of connection points inside the starter switch that would need to be cleaned, to test the starter to see if it works remove the starter switch and use a jumper cable attached to the battery cable on one end and touch the little nub coming out of the starter. If it works check the switch again or replace it.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:29 pm

There's not much other than a charged battery, two cables, the starter itself, and a switch to make the engine spin (Actually starting the engine is another story but that's not your problem here).
The battery needs to have a good charge.
The cables and ends need to be clean, bright and tight. No corrosion. If you have replacement cable ends with the two little bolts clamping down on the cable take it loose and clean the cable end and inside the clamp, remember clean, bright and tight. Where the starter mounts onto the block and where the ground cable attaches to the frame, yup, clean, bright and tight. If ground cable attaches to the battery box, make sure the battery box is well attached to the tractor. I have seen them where the battery box bottom had completely rusted out and there was little electrical connection through the rust. They weren't clean, bright and tight! If you are using 6 volts the cables need to be bigger (smaller #) than the 4 or 6 gauge battery cables most places sell.

Check this old thread about the switch.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82212&hilit=starter+switch

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :{_}: Two things not to be afraid of here; asking questions and posting pictures of your tractor. :D

Did I mention all the connections need to be clean, bright and tight?

brownth2
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78380

Postby brownth2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks gents, I appreciate it. I'll clean that stuff up, and try the jumper cable thing as soon as I get the chance. We're coming into the fall planting season here shortly and I don't feel like hand cranking all the time. I'll post some pics as I have a chance, but WARNING she's nothing to look at, still in her work clothes. I'll let you know how it turns out

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby randallc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:51 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. And, if she's a cub, she's something to look at, work clothes or parade ready, either way, or even in parts.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Return to “Farmall Cub”