This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

French Cub Steering

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

French Cub Steering

Postby Ian D » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:13 am

Hello Everyone, I live in Scotland, have just started the restoration of a 1955 french cub. can anyone please advise me about the steering box? There is a fair bit of play at the steering wheel end (the play is in the steering box itself not the ball joints etc) but there does not appear to be any way of adjusting the play in the gear and worm drive? Any suggestions much welcome
Regards
Ian D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: French Cub Steering

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:30 pm

There are several posts regarding this on the forum Ian. Just perform a "steering play" search and you should find lots of help. You might also find some topics in the Cub Book of Knowledge. I know Boss Hog helped me out alot when I rebuild my first (and only so far) steering box. I bet the parts for the steering box are identical to a standard USA Cub. The manuals for everything are on this site as well within a link at the upper left side. You can order all parts at the dealer or through TM Tractor (I think they might have stopped International Shipping though).
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Ian, Welcome to the Forum! On the bottom of the steering box is a castellated nut that has a cotter pin locking it in place. Remove the cotter pin and tighten the nut.You may have to back it off to insert the cotter pin again. You can probably remove a good bit of the play that way. Here's a link to the GSS-1411 Service Manual section on steering. If you scroll down to page 3-11 you'll what I'm referring to. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... 20Axle.htm This can be done without removing the axle.

Bob McCarty

Edit: I'm assuming the French Cub is the same.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Ian, Welcome to the Forum! On the bottom of the steering box is a castellated nut that has a cotter pin locking it in place. Remove the cotter pin and tighten the nut.You may have to back it off to insert the cotter pin again. You can probably remove a good bit of the play that way. Here's a link to the GSS-1411 Service Manual section on steering. If you scroll down to page 3-11 you'll what I'm referring to. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... 20Axle.htm This can be done without removing the axle.

Bob McCarty

Edit: I'm assuming the French Cub is the same.

There's also a bolt going through the rear of the steering arm. This may need to be loosened, to tighten the main nut sufficiently. (Assuming it's the same as the USA cubs)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Ian D » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:27 am

Thank you for the replies I will look at the manual etc

Return to “Farmall Cub”