This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Lift Going Bad?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Cub Lift Going Bad?

Postby jpate831 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:27 pm

My 1947 Cub has the standard touch control hydraulic lift. It has always worked pretty well. Recently, however, it has started to become a bit whiny and sluggish. It got progressively worse in a short period of time, until the other day it would not lift or lower at all. Now when I move the touch control lever the full range (with the engine running) I hear nothing, and it does nothing. Luckily it stopped working with the mower deck about 3 inches off the ground, so at least it isn't dragging.

Any ideas, before I tear into it?

Thanks.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Lift Going Bad?

Postby Steve Butram » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:31 pm

check the oil level. It is possible the seal in the hydro pump has failed and is pumping hydro oil into the crank case.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm

While you're checking oil I would check the engine oil level as Steve has said and also the level of hydraulic oil in the Touch Control. If the engine is NOT overfull or the Touch Control is NOT underfull then there are other possibilities. Most likely thing is the oil levels so start there.

jpate831
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Postby jpate831 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Well, the oil level in the touch control was low. I added close to a pint before it started coming out the fill plug. Once I did, the lift started working normally again. I checked the engine oil, and it's sitting at about the middle of the operating range.

I originally filled the touch control unit when I restored the tractor. I didn't use the lift for anything until I put the mower deck back on it, and I haven't used that much either. I never checked the touch control level after I filled it the first time. Is it possible it was just that low, or do you think I'm losing hydro oil somewhere?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:17 pm

If the block was leaking from a gasket, you would see drips on the outside of the block. If the pump shaft seal is leaking, the hydraulic fluid would be leaking into the crankcase and raise the level on the dipstick. If you didn't "burp" the TC to remove air, you may not have had the block full. If the oil needs changed, I'd suggest doing that and watching the level on the dipstick as you use the TC.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein