This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crank Shaft Bearing Replacement Process

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Crank Shaft Bearing Replacement Process

Postby Ironlegs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 am

I'm wondering if a full disassembly of the tractor/engine is necessary to replace the three crank shaft journal bearings. In reading about this topic, I ran across wording to the effect that the Cub crank shaft bearings could be removed through the oil pan opening in the block and on the tractor. If this is possible, I will proceed with crank and rod bearing replacement after the mowing season concludes with the goal of improving engine oil pressure. I am aware of the need to properly measure and assess the crank, rods and bearing surfaces...especially on a 1958 year machine.
Ironlegs John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Re: Crank Shaft Bearing Replacement Process

Postby Bill V in Md » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:23 am

In an emergency this could be done. But the time you will have invested to remove the crankshaft including removing the oil pan, front cover, flywheel and rear crankshaft seal retainer you may as well invest a little more time and finish the job. If the main and rod bearing are worn enough to require replacement, it would be prudent to thoroughly clean the entire crankcase, especially if the bearings are being replaced due to lack of lubrication. You will probably also want to replace the crankshaft front and rear main oil seals. You didn't mention whether the engine is burning oil, but with this much time invested, I would also seriously consider measuring the pistons and bores to see what condition they are in.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 am

In tractor overhaul can be done. Much easier to work on the engine with it on the bench or engine stand.

Agree will Bill. Complete engine overhaul.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:34 am

Eugene wrote:In tractor overhaul can be done. Much easier to work on the engine with it on the bench or engine stand.

Agree will Bill. Complete engine overhaul.

:Dito: :Dito:

You'll never regret it....
Rick
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:55 pm

I will agree that a rebuild is the way to go, but can be done in frame. You will need to remove the pan, and the oil pickup screen, then remove all 3 main bearings. A thin screwdriver can be used to start the caps moving around the journal, and keep working them by using screwdriver on out side of the bearing while turning the crank. Note they have a tab on one end, so that is the end that must be turned out. Auto parts stores used to sell a bearing roll out tool that went in the oil hole of the crank and pushed the bearing out as you turned the crank. You can make one using a small nail (about a 6 p if I remember right), cutting it off short and bending it right at the head. May take a couple tires to get it right. Just found a couple notes that a cotter key is easier to make one from. Google crankshaft bearing roll out pin.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:40 am

I replaced the piston rings and rear crankshaft seal when I replaced the clutch about two years ago. My Cub does not need rings or seals so I am considering a limited service project of crank and rod bearings given they all can be replaced through the oil pan block opening with the tractor assembled.

One of the responders posed the question about oil burn. I'm getting limited and intermittent oil smoke in the exhaust which I understand results when the rod bearings are worn and allow too much oil splash in the lower portions of the cylinders. This mostly occurs when the Cub is working hard on a slope. In any event, I just have to address the loss of oil pressure to avoid wear and/or damage that's sure to arise. The unit has new good rings that were properly sized for the cyclinders so I was pointed to look elsewhere for the occasional oil smoke which led me to learning about smoke when rod bearings are too loose. I can hear no knocking from the engine under any conditions.

I measured the rod bearings two years ago when I did the other work and found some wear but deemed it not requiring attention. I have a feeling the crank bearings contain most of the wear that's leading to low oil pressure. Two years ago, I didn't have the benefit of the advice of the forum members and didn't attempt to fully inspect the crank bearings (tractor assembled and working through the oil pan opening). Once I get the mowing season behind me, I intend to remove all the lower bearings, perform an inspection through the oil pan and get some answers about what is needed. Replacing all the lower end bearings would probably be the right action...and knowing I can do this without a complete disassembly is great.
Ironlegs John

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:54 am

Just remove the crank bearing cap, put a small screw in the oiling hole in the crank, rotate the crankshaft slowly and it will spin the bearing out, can be replaced the same way

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm

tst wrote:Just remove the crank bearing cap, put a small screw in the oiling hole in the crank, rotate the crankshaft slowly and it will spin the bearing out, can be replaced the same way
Nice Tim :thumbsup: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Yup, the process is called "rolling in" new bearings and is/was done as a "farmer fix" for many years to improve oil pressure.

In fact Dad rolled in a set of .002" undersize main bearings on the Super M shortly after he bought it in 1975, and it's been running that way ever since. Worked hard, overloaded, abused for many of those ensuing years. The undersize bearings were probably not the best idea, but the crank ended up being worn just enough that it worked out.

I'm going to have to amicably disagree with those who say that any time you crack an engine open, you have to take it to the machine shop for a complete overhaul. Yes it's the "right" thing to do and probably the "best" thing to do also, but it's not always part of the plan. You may not have $1200+ to pay a machine shop. You may not WANT to pay $1200 to a machine shop for a tractor that runs 5-10 hours per year. You may need the tractor tomorrow.

As long as you you replace like-for-like with the bearings, (i.e. if the ones that come out are .010" undersize, replace them with .010" undersize), and the journals look okay, you really can't go wrong. Yes you've put forth the effort and "wasted" a set of bearings if you end up going for an overhaul anyway, but odds are you won't need that overhaul for a long-long time now, if ever.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 pm

I suggest that you plastiguage the bearings before buying parts or starting any replacement. That will give you a better idea of whether that's the problem.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:39 am

Oil pressures between 5 and 10 psi with the engine hot and idling is the cause for my anticipated repair. Just after a cold start, oil pressure is something like 20 psi. I use thirty weight oil. I've been watching the slight bit of smoke in the exhaust this summer...the crank case oil level has not gone down enough to bother re-filling...the smoke is hardly noticeable.

I'm wondering if the oil pump is part of the problem. Do these wear internally to the point where they are a problem? Is there a repair/adjustment to the oil pumps? I kick myself because I could have serviced this when I replaced the clutch a while back and didn't. When I get the pan off, I intend to do a thorough cleaning of the oil intake screen.

These little tractors are handy to have and use. It's a blessing to have sources for repair parts. I gather with my 8 year old son when using and working on this machine. I have him mowing open, level areas with it which gives me quite a bit of his attention. The father-son times with the Cub are priceless.
Ironlegs John

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:56 am

20 psi idling cold and 5 to 10 idling hot is normal for 60 year old low rpm IH engines, and anyone else's for that matter. Are you getting higher pressure at working rpms? Remember, these are low volume, low pressure pumps to start with. The relief valve kicks in at 35 psi. You can have the crank turned and put new bearings in and after about 20 or 30 hours of working the idling pressure will be down to 10 or 15. Also, do not make the same mistake I did a couple years ago. I thought there was a problem with my rebuild because the idling pressure was low, and finally got smart enough ti figure out my gauge was bad. it was correct at the 35 psi, but at 15 psi it read 5.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:10 am

The first step I took in evaluating my Cub's lack of oil pressure was to remove the gauge and check it with compressed air...it functions and meters correctly. Working the Cub this summer and watching the lack of oil pressure has kindled my concerns and motivated me to search for advice, written/published and in this forum. When I found the article that mentioned exhaust smoke from excessive oil splash on the lower portions of the cylinders from worn bearings, the situation matched.

The engine work performed two plus years ago included Plastigaging the rod journal bearings...I recorded and saved the measurements...only slight wear on all four with no signs of smearing or worn areas. This check did not include the crank shaft journals although I did check for thrust and radial looseness and found very little. It's very possible that all seven journals have 0.001 to 0.003 wear (radial) and, combined, substantially lower the oil pressure and cause oil burn under load, especially on slopes.

The "rolling out" process the one fellow suggested sounds do-able (by me)...clever and practical! I will have my Cub for many more years and need it to perform well, mowing and doing chores in the winter time so investing in new journal bearings will not be wasted effort and cost. I would not sell it with known deficiencies unless I couldn't do the upgrade or openly declared the worn condition.

I'm more than a little appalled at how many sellers nowadays feel justified in selling used equipment that is in seriously degraded condition in a deceptive manner...it's not okay to be dishonest and deceptive, ever. Shame on them.
Ironlegs John

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:08 am

Did the "rolling out" and "rolling in" process on my 1949 Cub, Merlin, several years ago, and it worked brilliantly. Good oil pressure at all RPM's. I plastigaged my new bearings when I put them in and the clearance was acceptable. I replaced the rod bearings at the same time that I did the mains as well. I also replaced the rings "in frame" on this tractor. Probably needed machining, but didn't have the cash at the time to do it right at the time.

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farmall Cub”