This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Photos!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01351
Tractors Owned: 63 cub

Photos!

Postby weslypype » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:34 pm

Alright guys,

Took some photos today. Here is a link. Let me know that it works!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10382476 ... 6ZyggqPUYw

I tried to get a photo of the casting # but it's pretty worn out and I can't seem to identify the last letter. Is there any information that the lower number/letters can tell me? The guy who sold it claimed it was a '63 but I'm guessing it's possible that it could be older than that?

Today I was able to identify that the leak is indeed coming from the differential as if you look closely you can see an oil drip seeping out from right there. I cleaned out the brake housing which was full of gunk and also scraped off all the gunk that was built up all around the axle. It appears that this leak has been going on for some time judging by the amount of buildup that is all over the axle around it.

I drained and flushed the transmission case. Ran it with diesel for a few minutes and flushed it all out. Refilled with 90W and closed it back up. Still seems to be showing some seepage after doing a couple mowing passes so I don't think it is moisture related. All signs seem to point to a seal issue?

On another note, the front steering also seems to be leaking right down the middle. There is quite a bit of gunk welled up and it looks like the seal has been compromised there as well. I did drain and refill as well and it looks as though it's continuing to leak. The front wheels have a lot of play in them and rock from the side to side with a slight clunking noise when I turn or there is a change in weight distribution, etc. Is this indicative of bad wheel bearings or is it more likely based on the leakage that's happening right in the center area (sorry, I don't know the technical term for that area!)?

Last but not least, the seller noted that he had replaced the rear tires. They both do appear new to me, but the treads do seem to be different. Are there any problems that can arise from this or is it nothing to worry about?

Please let me know whether you can view the photos or not.

Thank you all for your help!

-Brian

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Photos!

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Your serial number plate is behind the lower end of the steering shaft. Has all the earmarks of a 63 Cub. Why do you think it is not a 63?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 pm

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Your serial number plate is behind the lower end of the steering shaft. Has all the earmarks of a 63 Cub. Why do you think it is not a 63?

I agree with Don.

I'm interested in the mower setup. First Ive ever seen like that. Any chance of some closer pics of how it connects and your thoughts on how it works?

weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01351
Tractors Owned: 63 cub

Postby weslypype » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 pm

I'll try to snap some more photos of it tomorrow if I can. It's on a quick hitch setup but honestly it was mounted when I hauled it home and haven't yet taken it off yet to mount anything else. It has worked reasonably well for me so far. It doesn't cut too short as it tends to bog the mower down if I have it dropped too low. It doesn't seem to want to run in 3rd, as it has stalled out whenever I try to bring it into 3rd with PTO engaged.

I was trying to snoop some other photos of other cub years and thought it might be older. Thank you for clarifying that it looks to be '63 to you as well. Just want to be sure of what I have ahold of here and don't want to take the sellers word for it.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:03 pm

The leak in the rear is from the axle seals at the transmission, there is a seal on the steering shaft, also a vent hole in the fill plug for the steering box, make sure that is clear or it makes pressure in the steering box causing the seal to leak, you have typical leaks of a 55 year old tractor, all fixable, steering is adjustable to get rid of slop and the tie rods also, bearings can be repacked and adjusted if not torn up, tires, as long as they are the same size not a big deal, interesting rear mower setup you have, looks like some took a lot of time to fabricate it to work, you do NOT mow in 3rd gear, 1st or 2nd depending upon conditions, that is 58-63 cub
Tim

Brendan In NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27858
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub Red Square Nose # 223883 one of 2300 built before they switch to Yellow and White.

1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Just a Clean Strong run of the mill Farmall 140 with very little Wear.

Also have a bit of equipment
Woods C-42 Belly mower, 1963 IH McCormick #215 Plow, IH #144 Cultivators, IH Side Dresser (in need of some work non working at the moment)

Postby Brendan In NC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Great looking Cub! :D
You're Serial number is on the Metal plate on the steering housing under the steering shaft.
Very Nice looking Tractor i like the rear mounted 42 inch mower, wish i had a set of those tires :(
Will make you a fine mowing an snow pushing Tractor! and Welcome to the Forum!
Tractors are like watermelons..Eat the red and throw away the green!!
Brendan Dixon Greenville NC
1964 Farmall Cub #223883
1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Tractorguy140, YouTube

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:06 am

Nice looking tractor. I haven't done diff seals yet, but the steering box output shaft seal is pretty easy to do. You might as well do the input shaft seal and both gaskets at the same time. When I reassembled my steering box, I pulled the steering worm wheel off the shaft and clocked it 180 degrees. I did the same with the steering input shaft. This tightened up my steering greatly. If this has not been done before, the same 2-3 teeth on both gears have been in contact 95% of the time for the life of the tractor (anytime it was driven straight ahead) and will have more wear than the others. Doing what I did puts a new set of 2-3 teeth into contact while the wheels are straight. It looks like you have a real good base machine here.

Jim
Jim

Circle of Safety