This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

wait to fix ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01351
Tractors Owned: 63 cub

wait to fix ?

Postby weslypype » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:15 am

Hey all, just another follow up question. I'd like to start getting work done on the tractor pretty soon as I do need to start plowing in order to get a cover crop in before fall rolls in. Would it be a bad idea to continue running this machine with the rear leaks? I certainly wouldn't want to run it dry but I also don't want to start pulling it apart only to get stuck along the way and have it apart for weeks or a month trying to figure it all out. Could anyone advise ? Also, in terms of repairs, what are some reputable parts resources you guys use?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: wait to fix ?

Postby ricky racer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:21 am

What's leaking??
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01351
Tractors Owned: 63 cub

Postby weslypype » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:45 am

Something in the rear, either final drive or maybe differential? I'm having a hard time identifying where it's coming from

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:34 am

As to working it with the oil leaks, my opinion is to keep working it. Just check level of the oil regularly. When you get your garden plowed and cover crop in, and you have no more use for the tractor this year, then pull it inside for repairs. As for parts, depending on what you need, our sponsers are a good place to start, local auto parts stores are good.

Billy

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:23 am

If it is dripping out the holes below the brakes or the hand hole cover under the clutch, it is probably the transmission/differential. They are bad to become overfilled due to water condensation from rapidly changing temperatures. I suggest draining the transmission and refilling with 3 1/2 pints (1 3/4 quarts) of 90wt or equivalent transmission oil. Do not be surprised if you get a gallon or more of what looks like a chocolate milkshake out of it. That is the water and oil mixed together. The finals only hold a small amount of oil in the bottom of the pans and rarely leak out anyplace other than the lower axles, and then only very slowly.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CSA_CUB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29526
eBay ID: SC_Elvis
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
194 Farmall Plow
1984 JD 320 Garden Tractor
1952 BF Avery/MM model V
C-16 Middle Buster
C-22 Sickle Mower
172 Planter w/ Duplex Hopper
Cole Duplex Planter
F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
Super A
100 Manure Spreader
F-17 Middle Buster
184 planter (2)
Fast Hitch 2 way plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby CSA_CUB » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:38 am

I agree with John. Check the levels. If over filled drain and bring to the proper level. If it continues keep an eye on it until you have completed this year's check. Chores and start the repairs over the fall and winter. The sponsors I've dealt with have been great and helpful.
Patrick Elvis
CSA_CUB
Conway, SC
:tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”