This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

preparing my new to me engine for storage

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

preparing my new to me engine for storage

Postby ad356 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:07 am

i removed the head, i squirted oil down all of the cylinders and valve stems. i oiled the valve seats as well. hopefully this will keep the valve-train from rusting up, i know cubs are prone to valves sticking. i rotated the engine a couple of revolutions by hand while i was doing this to distribute the oil in the cylinders. i then put the head back on the engine and snugged the bolts, i did not torque them. i know i will need a head-gasket when i end up using this engine.

as far as condition of the cylinders, there did not appear to be much of ridge. i do not know if this engine was rebuild or not. arent cub pistons market as to which bore size? wouldnt they be marked .010, .020, .030, ect. i dont think this engine was ever bored out. the cylinders appear to be in good condition, with no major scoring. there was carbon on the tops of the pistons, and from what i remember this is a good sign.... no carbon indicates enough oil is getting past the rings and washing the carbon from the pistons. i think this engine may or may not have been rebuilt. it ran good when i bought it and started without much difficulty. usually engines that are way down in compression have a very hard time starting.... this engine did not.

i think for $300 i did OK, not sure about the rebuild part. now to sell of the 154 accessories i do not need.

i will also add that after looking at the farmall cub and then looking at the numbered series, it seems to me that the numbered series are built more like an overgrown cub cadet from that era and that the farmall cub was built like a tractor. i think the 154 makes a great lawnmower but i dont know if i would use one in a heavier use application. i think the farmall cub probably holds up better. i really dont like the driveshaft design on the 154. i reminds me of that cub cadet driveshaft with that roll pin on the flywheel side, it works but not the most heavy duty setup on the planet.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Re: preparing my new to me engine for storage

Postby artc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:07 pm

you might want to check the end of the crankshaft on the 154 engine. the later engines did not have the hole drilled for the pilot bushing
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”