This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

i now have a spare C60 engine

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Re: i now have a spare C60 engine

Postby ad356 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:05 am

i went out to the garage and looked at my engine. on the flywheel side on the center of the crank there is a fairly large un-used hole where it appears that i pilot bushing would fit. it doesnt appear that im going to have any problems. is it possible that some 154 had drilled cranks and some did not? is it possible the engine was rebuilt with an F-cub crankshaft. at any rate i dont think im going to have a problem when it eventually comes time to install this engine in my F-cub, that time might be quite a few years down the road. at such time the new parts i would put into the tractor would be a complete clutch, throughout bearing, ect.

as far as the cub not being a big enough tractor, it has done me well. for yard work i just think they are hard to beat. they are reliable, simple, and fuel efficient. they are also heavy enough for most residental applications, these were after all small AG tractors. they are allot heavier then the lawn tractors that most people own. i like the super-a but it is also heavier (could beat up on a lawn if its constantly damp like it has been this year), the super-a is also going to burn more gas. gas aint cheap anymore and one of the things i love about the cub is it burns less gas then some much smaller machines. i use less gas then a cheap sears lawn tractor would burn. i have pushed 2ft of snow with my cub, and when we get that much snow i do have some traction issues, but i think another set of weights OR possibly loading the tires with rim-guard would help that. for what i use my cub for it does well, and its paid for.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: i now have a spare C60 engine

Postby BigBill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:01 am

I ask this because I purchased two extra 154 C60 crank shafts and one has a the pilot bushing hole and one doesn't.

I didn't get to use my fcub much before the drive shaft broke at the front tranny input bearing. The PO must of been hard on it. Inspecting the cracked surfaces I can see two different areas were it cracked the first time and kept running till the final crack that put it on the injured list. The first crack is dark gray and the second crack is a light gray. The second light gray crack is the fresh crack.
Now I figure since its apart I might as well disassemble the tranny and finals to refresh them with new seals and gaskets while looking for worn parts to replace. Inspect the clutch and reassemble it. Since the engine has been refreshed already it shouldn't give me anymore problems.

But if the drive shaft can flex under a heavy load I'm thinking it may need a flange pillow block bearing down inside the drive shaft housing so it's supported from flexing. There's a weak point in the design.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.