This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

how do you guys clean your mowers after mowing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Re: how do you guys clean your mowers after mowing

Postby ad356 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 pm

grass built up underneath the deck.... sure you might think its an imaginary problem but your mower will turn to Swiss cheese eventually, and that is a real problem. these mowers arent exactly cheap.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:14 pm

ad356 wrote:grass built up underneath the deck.... sure you might think its an imaginary problem but your mower will turn to Swiss cheese eventually, and that is a real problem. these mowers arent exactly cheap.

Last mower went 20+ years, never cleaned the bottom of the deck once and it was solid when it left.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Don't mow wet grass. Clean off the clippings that end up on top of the mower.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 am

when i tore my deck down, cleaned it up and repainted it all of the pitting was underneath, its still solid but it is pitted. i think it also depends upon what climate you live in. around here, especially this year out grass is typically very damp when you mow it. the grass normally contains moisture, when you cut the grass it releases the moisture, not only that but its acidic. this year its been rain, rain, rain. we are finally about to get a dry week, its been raining so much that i have been mowing every 4-5 days, usually by this time of year it will stop growing. anyways i find its cheap insurance, i mow for an hour and i spend 15 minutes cleaning the underneath of the mower. i dont care about the 15 minutes i spend. as far as cheap lawn tractors, in this climate those decks dont last too long, 7-8 years of mowing without cleaning it and a brand new deck turns into a rusty peice of junk. i know that cub decks are a quite a bit heavier then that, but i think that eventually it will still take its toll. i will spend the 15 minutes to protect the invesment i have in my equipment even if i only spent $4-500 for the deck and all of the hardware (mule drive, belly mower pulley.

TomE
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35

Postby TomE » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:00 pm

When I sharpen blades I scrape of the build up. A Woods deck is not quiet as thin as a MFD produced mower deck and will hold up much longer.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Mike in Louisiana wrote:Image

Last time i looked mine did not need cleaning.

THIS IS REALY NOT A GOOD WAY TO CHECK

On the bright side, thats an easy way to adjust the wheel spacing and to also get all the dust off the floorboard.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:18 pm

I use graphite spray on my mower decks and use a pressure washer to keep the underside clean. Graphite goes on twice a season ..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:58 pm

i figured if i keep my C3 clean after mowing, it should last me a lifetime.

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Super A wrote:When I finish mowing, I park it in the shed. Then the next time I need to mow I go get it again. Grass buildup under the deck is an imaginary problem IMO.

Al

Every once in awhile I mow when it is very wet and I get a spray of water, green grass and occasional clump of stuff that was stuck on the bottom. Around here, you sometimes have to mow between showers with no time for the grass to dry out.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:24 pm

I have a 1979 model 1450 CC that I bought in ~1985. Never been too concerned with grass build up on the underside of the deck. I clean the underside of the deck when I put on sharpened blades, normally two or three times a year. Some pitting is evident on the underside but nothing serious. I have often thought about cleaning the deck and painting it with Slip-Plate, however, that is as far as I've gotten -- just thinking about it. Oh, yes, I mow a lot, between 70 and 80 times a year (yes, I do keep track on a spreadsheet :) )

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Bill Hudson wrote: I mow a lot, between 70 and 80 times a year (yes, I do keep track on a spreadsheet :) )

Bill

Now that's interesting. Do you track fuel usage? If so, what kind of nnumbers do you get?

I don't mean to hijackthis thread. Sorry.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Ricky,

I'm sorry fuel usage is not one of the things I track. Soil fertility, fertilizer/pesticide applications are the important (to me) ones that I follow. I jokingly say that caring for my yard is the only farming I get to do. :) :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:10 am

Bill Hudson wrote:Ricky,

I'm sorry fuel usage is not one of the things I track. Soil fertility, fertilizer/pesticide applications are the important (to me) ones that I follow. I jokingly say that caring for my yard is the only farming I get to do. :) :)

Bill

Bill, You can come down and take care of my yard if you want...How did the transfer of the hitch go?

John
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 am

John,

Mowing your yard will take a good bit of time. :) I really like your yard.

Transfer of the Fast Hitch went well. If Dave doesn't have it now, he will have it soon.

PM me your address (I deleted yours) I have something for you.

Bill
Bill

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:00 pm

If you've got a creek nearby, drive down into it where it's just deep enough to get up under the deck, and start the mower. A minute of that, and it's clean as a whistle.

BTW, the hose cleaning deal doesn't need much pressure. The water pressure is created by the blades. That's why driving it through the creek works.

Return to “Farmall Cub”