This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub loader

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

cub loader

Postby ad356 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm

i have never seen one for sale, i know they exist but they seem to be rare. if i bought a loader, i think i would rather have the wagner 2 arm loader. is this the better loader vs. the single arm IH loader. how rare are loaders and what would you expect to spend on one in good condition. it would be nice to have one on occasion. how difficult is it to mount and dismount? does the cub handle the loader fairly well or is it just too small of a tractor to be useful with a loader?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub loader

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:15 pm

I have a dedicated lo-boy, with a Wagner loader. I think it would be a major pain, to put one on and off. Some people feel the loader on the cub, is a motorized wheelbarrow. At my age, a self loading, self unloading, self pushing wheelbarrow, isn't a bad thing. I move a lot of firewood, with the loader. Wagners sell for 500 to 1000 dollars, around this area. IH loaders, 1500 to 1900 dollars. I have limited experience with an IH loader, so I can't give an honest comparison.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)

Postby Radec Aksarben » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Wow. That's a lot of money for a little loader. You can get decent loaders that would fit on an M for $500 bucks. It's so interesting to me that farming is so small in some places!

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I have a Wagner loader, but am still edging up to installing it. I've heard from others that, if properly set up, a Wagner can go on (and come off) in about an hour. But that means that it is suspended above the Cub, lowered down on to rear bearing plates and bolted on the front; and that the hoses are all ready to go and the hydraulics set up properly. There's also talk about being sensible, not running about with the bucket anywhere but just up from skimming the ground, except of course when working with it. Then too not overloading those front wheels -- I bought a pair of wider wheels and will eventually put on thrust bearings to make steering easier. he rear wheels will need to be spaced out to the next to largest setting. Wheel weights on the rear needed and a heavy piece of equipment (like a set of harrows or a plow) set on to the rear as a counterbalance to bucket loading. But as you can tell, I'm just passing along info.

BTW, there are variations in the Wagners: trip buckets, hydraulic controlled buckets, different arrangements with the reservoir for hydraulic fluids.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:12 pm

I have had a Wagner 9early version WM 1) for about 3 years, and it is great for somethings. for loading manure, piled loose dirt or gravel, it is handy if only doing a small amount. Pretty much useless for digging such as a in a gravel bar or digging a hole, it is pretty useless. My main use is for moving heavy items around outside my shop. I installed a beam and use a cable hoist to raise it enough to clear the front axle. it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to remove it. A dedicated tractor is the best way to go.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:25 am

Keep in mind that Wagner made two model loaders for the Cub. As John said, he has the early version. My buddy Todd has the later version. The later version is the one to have, in my opinion if you are going Wagner. The earlier version that John has requires you to mount the back of the tractor instead of over the side because the frame of the mower completely obscures the operator's platform. Also, the earlier version (unless modified like the one that I owned) is a trip-loader. It only has power to lift the loader. There is a catch on the bucket that you pull to dump the loader. Then you have to lower the bucket and back up to reset the bucket to get the next load.

The later Wagner is configured to add a step to the side of the Cub and has lift hydraulics and a hydraulic bucket (two levers to run on the tractor). Todd's setup is awesome and it is easy to get on and off the tractor. Either loader pretty much makes the tractor a single use unit.

The IH loader is a single arm unit, but it seems really stout and easy to use. It also gives you a step to help get up on the tractor. Again, it makes the tractor a 1-use tractor.

In the end, I ended up selling the tractor that had the loader on it as I couldn't justify having it around. Now that I have moved to Pittsburgh, I wouldn't mind having that one back again as I have land to actually use the tractor!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:33 am

I have used a 1000 loader and boy was it handy! I am currently refurbishing the loader and an F-Cub is patiently waiting for the loader. When done, it will be a unit dedicated to loader activities.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 am

I have the ih 1000 loader. I use it for many purposes and find it works just fine. As for digging, it is useless. My brother borrows it all the time to use. My tractor and loader paid for itself when I reshingled my house. It hauled them all to the dumpster. Don't judge them too lightly cause their uses are many even though limited. I don't think I could part with mine after having used it for so many things.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 pm

I have a Henderson loader and it will be dedicated to the Lo-Boy. Not swapping tractors.

As Ed said, at my age and with my health concerns now .. a power wheelbarrow works for me. If I need something with a little more ooomph .. there are skid steers available to rent.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”