This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil viscosity and detergent

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36441
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub, "Susie-Q" 61617 1948 /Woods 42 Mower, Sickle Mower. 2 gang disc, cultivators
Farmall Cub, "Sadie", 1949 Block Casting 2-3-S Duplex planter,Fert Distr
FarmallCub "Charlene" 22312 1948 Disc Plow, Flail Mower, Grader Blade
Location: 1510 OLD ATMORE ROAD, FLOMATON, AL FLOMATON, ALABAMA

oil viscosity and detergent

Postby Chet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:49 pm

I am searching for information on the use of high detergent oil and the viscosity I can use in my 1947 and two 1948 year cubs. What are the advantages and dis-advantages of changing to detergent 30 W or 10W-30 oil?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: oil viscosity and detergent

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:30 pm

If the engines have been recently rebuilt, I would go with the detergent type oil, which I have done with all of mine. If the engines have not been rebuilt in MANY years I would stick with the non detergent unless you know they have been running detergent type. The detergent keeps the dirt in suspension so the filter can trap it. If you make a switch and there is a lot of dirt and sludge in the engine you will at the very least, need to change the oil filter pretty often for a while.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”