This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

hydraulic unit model 354383R1 rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TrentonJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30041
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1969 John Deere 1020
2006 Kuboto M5700

hydraulic unit model 354383R1 rebuild

Postby TrentonJ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Well, I'm still working on my tractor project. I didn't start out intending to rebuild the whole thing, but one thing led to another... So, anyway, at this point I've taken the hydraulic block off to rebuild it. I've been using chapter 8 of the service manual and this post: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42857. Both those resources seem to address the "late" model hydraulic unit while mine is said to be the "early" models (page 8-4), and both those resources seem to indicate they are similar enough for the one set of instructions to cover everything.

In my picture below I've labelled some parts I believe are:
A - check valve assembly
B - pressure regulator assembly
C - safety valve assembly
D - control valve assembly

I've removed the first part or two from A, B and C, but I'm not sure how to remove the remaining parts. I've tried slender needle-nose pliers, but they slip off A and C. My snap-ring pliers do not seem to reach far enough in there. The exposed face of the part at B has nothing whatever to grab onto. After studying my own picture I'm thinking I may be able to loop a small wire around the pintle sticking out at C and maybe A if they have grooves which it sort of seems they do. And I haven't tried slamming the unit face down onto a wood block. Maybe air pressure or suction could be used if I could block up the connecting ports some way. Has anyone done this before on the model 354383R1 (i.e. an "early" model), and what suggestions might you have for getting these valve assembies out? It seems a little different than the "late" model. For example, I don't seem to have the metal bushing shown in the instructions.

Second quesion: What is the (presumed) threaded cap at E on my image? There are two more hexagonal (caps?) on the front of this unit in addition to the one on the back shown at "E." They seem to be on really tight. I did not use all my strength for fear of breaking something I wasn't supposed to mess with, but still they are really tight. They don't seem to be mentioned in the above resources. At least one of the two on the front does not seem to be lined up with a valve assembly hole on the back.

Side note: service manual says to rotate o-rings/valve assemblies during removal, but seems impossible

thanks much!

Edit; Saturday night (Aug. 2): Partially answering my own question - The 32-page "Blue Ribbon Service" manual (Serviceman's Handbook, GSS-1024) page 4 lists tools needed including the curiously named "drag link screwdriver" for the regulator valve. Googling that I found a description of such a tool at http://uberpatrol.com/go-external/http: ... _24121.asp It is basically a very large screwdriver bit you use with your socket wrench. That would explain the large slot in my photo (pressure regulator at "B"). So that part does not pull out - you have to screw it out with a drag link screwdriver. Also, the document "Servicing International Harvester Series A, C and Cub Hydraulic 'Touch Control' System" on bottom page 4 (last page) has an exploded part drawing of my "early" model hydraulic unit showing the hexagonal cap, regulator valve seat, steel ball, check valve actuator plug, lower stop, etc. So it does appear I should take those hexagonal caps off. I did buy the correct rebuild kit for my model, but still I hope it is going to have all the needed o-rings, etc. I'll let you know. I found those two documents on Rudi's http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/ but I think you can also follow the links starting with "PDF manuals" at the top page of this forum. Isn't the internet just great for this kind of stuff!
Still, if anyone has any additional information, experience and advice I would much appreciate it!
Attachments
my_354383R1_hydraulic_unit_labelled.jpg
my_354383R1_hydraulic_unit_labelled.jpg (369.01 KiB) Viewed 659 times