This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Auburn clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y

Auburn clutch

Postby john2189 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:35 pm

I got the basket case cub I bought put together and running. Sometimes the auburn clutch acts funny. When i go to let it out, about 1/2 way out it starts to move as it should, but then it seems like it disengages and when I let it out all the way it goes back to normal . It does not slip, I can hold the brakes while moving and stall the motor, so it is not slipping. Any ideas? I am going to run it as is, mabe its just sticking from rust or dirt.
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Auburn clutch

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 pm

As you said, it could be some dirt or rust on the linkage, but it could also be a brake sticking. I thought I had a problem with my loader cub clutch grabbing because for the first few minutes I used it each time it would jump as I let the clutch out. I finally realized it was a brake sticking and then suddenly turning loose. Now I just need to figure out which one and remove wheel with 3 sets of weights and fix sticking. :x
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:32 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:As you said, it could be some dirt or rust on the linkage, but it could also be a brake sticking. I thought I had a problem with my loader cub clutch grabbing because for the first few minutes I used it each time it would jump as I let the clutch out. I finally realized it was a brake sticking and then suddenly turning loose. Now I just need to figure out which one and remove wheel with 3 sets of weights and fix sticking. :x

never thought of that, The right brake is a bit touchy the left doesnt seem to do much, ill jack each side one at a time and check them
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Hey John do like I do when I have 11 axles on the ground and a brake sticks....WATCH FOR SMOKE :) :shock:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:30 am

Rabbit Holler Flash wrote:Hey John do like I do when I have 11 axles on the ground and a brake sticks....WATCH FOR SMOKE :) :shock:
I need a couple hundred more horsepower to do that.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:38 am

john2189 wrote:......... never thought of that, The right brake is a bit touchy the left doesnt seem to do much, ill jack each side one at a time and check them
That may not be the problem, but is worth checking. I put up with that for a year and a half thinking it was the clutch grabbing from not being used for long periods, before I finally realized what it was. I only realized what the real problem was when I noticed that with the loader a ways in the air it would jerk to one side when it happened. May be another year or two before I get around to fixing it. :)):