This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow Plow question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 169174

Snow Plow question.

Postby Alan Gee » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:07 pm

The tractor I picked up has a snow plow. The link that lifts the blade it home made out of thick angle iron and seems ok. But I am looking at the bar at the pivot point at the rear of the steering box casting where there is a square hole that runs from one side to the other . It looks like who ever has a section of what looks like a 7/8 ths inch steel round stock bar that has been threaded on either end with nuts on either end that is holding the pivot point for the plow. Is that what should be in there ? There are two large bolts mounted at a 45 degree slant on the back of the square tube but they dont seem to be doing anything.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Re: Snow Plow question.

Postby offrink » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm

The pivot point was answered here.

viewtopic.php?f=223&t=84596

Photos will be of a bunch of help for the two other bolts.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Urbish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:15 pm

What was originally there (as part of the blade brackets and attachment hardware) were two square blocks which are held in place by the two 45 degree set bolts. A long bolt ran through the whole works and through the hole in the pivoting lever. It looks like a previous owner went a different route with your tractor. If it works, and the nut isn't loosening or tightening as you raise and lower the blade, you should be ok. Make sure that the angle iron pivoting lever isn't riding on threads of that pivot shaft setup, otherwise you'll have premature wear. My tractor has a piece of square tubing with nuts welded onto the ends and a bolt going through the pivoting lever into one end of the tube. It's not original but works fine.

Jim
Jim

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:50 pm

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim/blade54a001004.jpg
This picture from TM Tractor shows the two cast blocks and bolt that go through the square tube on the steering housing.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 am

Ah Ha, Thanks. I figured the 7/8ths rod was wrong. It does work but its a bit jiggly in there. The 45 degree set bolts cant really hold the round rod very well.
The home made link needed a bit of tinkering. It was rubbing the steering box. I fixed that ok but still was wondering about the make shift pivot rod.
Now that I see what should be there I can make those blocks. Thanks again.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 pm

Alan Gee wrote:Ah ... Now that I see what should be there I can make those blocks. ...

My neighbor made me a couple and I asked him to put a 1/4" chamfer on one edge. It works really well when the bolt meets that surface.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:22 pm

I had a similar problem. The lifting rod had a hole that was "wallered out" quite a bit. I had a couple of good blocks but the rod holding it all together was a homemade piece of mild steel with washers welded on one end and a pin holding the other end...

I bored out the hole and welded in a bushing that is 1" OD and 21/32 ID. Don't want anything binding up because it is too precision. Then I ordered the grade 8 bolt from TM. Can't wait til mowing season is over and I can mount the plow.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:53 pm

I got lucky and scored a section of 1 1/2 steel stock, bored it out and cut two nice 3 inch axle hanger bushings.
Upon installing them I could not get the shaft to slide back through. It kept hittin something hard inside the casting.
I got a raw piece of one inch stock and tapped it throuh with a hammer , it was not in there real tight so it came out.
I had a good laugh when I saw what it was. Actually there were TWO items in there . It seems some where along the line some one tried to fab two hanger bushings but they were only 3/4 of and inch thick and when he put the shaft in they slid into the casting and were not being held in place by the jam bolts. The jam bolts were doing nothing at all .

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:05 pm

The plow we had when I was a kid did not have the blocks, but two square plates 3/4 inch thick that always seemed to work their way to the center. I always thought it would be a good idea to put a piece of square tubing in between just long enough so the 3/4 blocks were flush with the ends of the square hole in the bolster. Happily the one I just got has the long ones that fasten very securely with the screws...
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Return to “Farmall Cub”