This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12 volt

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 12 volt

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 am

ThomD wrote:new clamp for the negative terminal. It was cracked
ThomD wrote:not a problem that would account for the past performance

Actually, that is exactly the type of problem that WILL keep the tractor from starting. 6v systems MUST have good paths for the high current they demand for starting. That includes ALL contacts to be clean ("and shiny"!), paint removed from between assemblies like battery box-to-chassis (or wherever the ground cable is connected), and the starter-to-block surface where they are bolted together. The gauge battery cable is critical and the terminals and their mates MUST be solid and clean.

It takes a lot less time to go through all and clean everything (wire brush, sandpaper, etc.) than to call the mechanic every time you need to start it.

if your tractor doesn't start after cranking it, turn it off and start at the battery touching all the contacts. When you find a hot area, either wire or connector, that is where you have a problem. It doesn't take much resistance to keep the tractor from starting. 12v systems have the advantage because with the higher voltage, they require lower current and are tolerant of more resistance in the "system".

Good luck!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 12 volt

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:31 am

ThomD wrote:Mechanic came along and boosted her with his Car started right up.
Why? I think I have a set of jumper cables in each of my vehicles' emergency kits. A set of jumper cables from the auto parts store would be considerably less expensive than a mechanic's service call. Or even if the service call was at no cost, much faster than waiting for someone to show up and jump start the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.