This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grinding noise when the PTO is engaged.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fredthecoonkiller1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24910

Grinding noise when the PTO is engaged.

Postby fredthecoonkiller1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Why does the PTO make a grinding noise when engaged?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Grinding noise when the PTO is engaged.

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:02 am

If the grinding noise is when you are moving the lever to engage the PTO then it's because the driveshaft is still turning after you pushed the clutch. Wait a couple seconds before trying to move the PTO lever.

If the grinding noise is after you have engaged the PTO then you most likely have some wear in one or more of the PTO components. The hardened pin on the side of the lever that fits in the collar. The collar itself. The splines on the end of the driveshaft.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Smokeycub » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:38 am

Scrivet is on it. An additional thought though, does the trans grind at all when you put it in gear? If the clutch isn't fully disengaging things will grind. Like Scrivet said everything should stop rolling in a couple of seconds after the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down.

If it's grinding after it's engaged then you've got internal trans related issues. If there's too much tension on the end of the PTO shaft the bearings and/or pilot bushing will whine but shouldn't grind. Is there any play at the end of the PTO shaft?

More info may help.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Brendan In NC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27858
Tractors Owned: 1964 Farmall Cub Red Square Nose # 223883 one of 2300 built before they switch to Yellow and White.

1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Just a Clean Strong run of the mill Farmall 140 with very little Wear.

Also have a bit of equipment
Woods C-42 Belly mower, 1963 IH McCormick #215 Plow, IH #144 Cultivators, IH Side Dresser (in need of some work non working at the moment)

Postby Brendan In NC » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:48 pm

iv had trouble on my 64 while mowing when i go to engage the PTO the leaver want to stop half way and i end up having to let off the clutch them pull it back real easy to keep it from grinding :( guess its a normal problem i just be real careful on it. :lol:
Tractors are like watermelons..Eat the red and throw away the green!!
Brendan Dixon Greenville NC
1964 Farmall Cub #223883
1964 Farmall 140 #27512
Tractorguy140, YouTube

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:55 am

Brendan In NC wrote:iv had trouble on my 64 while mowing when i go to engage the PTO the leaver want to stop half way and i end up having to let off the clutch them pull it back real easy to keep it from grinding :( guess its a normal problem i just be real careful on it. :lol:

That happens because the PTO shaft and main shaft splines aren't synchronized. You could also reach back and move your PTO pulley by hand to get them to synch. Be careful if you've already been mowing, it might be real hot from belt friction.

But yeah, if it grinds while trying to engage, the main shaft hasn't stopped ... wait for it to stop. If it does it while engaged, its another problem. Personally, I've had it happen and the hardened pin that Scrivet mentions was worn down to almost nothing, so it wouldn't hold the collar onto the main shaft.

The PTO system is very simple. The engage rod moves the lever with the hardened pin ... the pin moves the collar ... the collar couples the main shaft to the PTO shaft. That's it. Remove the PTO shaft and take a look in there.
Trent McPeak

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Might be as simple as a dry bearing.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:26 am

Is the PTO turning while grinding, or just grinding?

Return to “Farmall Cub”