This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is this a cub related part? (pic)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Is this a cub related part? (pic)

Postby Jackman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Picked this up last week at an estate clean out, it was free for the taking 8) , I know its a sickle bar blade sharping tool but is it Cub related, any info appreciated :thanx:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Re: Is this a cub related part? (pic)

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm

sickle bar grinder
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks is it Cub mounted or bench mounted?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Having "Deering" cast on it, I suspect it would been much earlier than a Cub. It should work on a Cub 22 though. Most of the early ones were made to mount on the steel wheel of the horse drawn mower. Look at the bottom and see if it looks like it's made for that. I can't tell from the pictures.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi,
I agree with what Bob said. If it is from before World War 2, it's from before when Cubs were manufactured. :)
Last edited by Glen on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:08 pm

The one I have say's McCormick on it ... most I have seen are definitely pre-Cub era and are bench or steel wheel mounted for sharpening in the field if need be.

this one is mine .. not a great pic though ..

Yours is even older design. Neat sharpener :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Just the name Deering alone doesn't automatically make it older than IH's formation in 1902. IH kept separate divisions for many years. Look for the circle IHC logo cast into the parts. Without that then it most likely is prior to 1902. Or sometime shortly thereafter. I'm sure they had a few sitting on the shelf and would have sold those as well as it may have taken a couple months (or years) to add the logo to all the patterns.

From what I have researched, hand crank sickle sharpeners first were used around the 1860's and really took off in the 1880's. They were made up into the 1950's. Sickle sharpeners are collected and IH fans will try to acquire all twelve of the IH related companies that made them. I always see the number twelve but nowhere can I find a list them. So here are eleven of the ones I think are that list.

McCormick
McCormick-Deering
International
Champion
Deering
Plano
Milwaukee
Osborne
Emerson-Brantingham
Webster
Badger

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Wasnt the first cubs called a McCormick Deering Cub??
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Scrivet wrote:Just the name Deering alone doesn't automatically make it older than IH's formation in 1902. IH kept separate divisions for many years. Look for the circle IHC logo cast into the parts. Without that then it most likely is prior to 1902. Or sometime shortly thereafter. I'm sure they had a few sitting on the shelf and would have sold those as well as it may have taken a couple months (or years) to add the logo to all the patterns.

From what I have researched, hand crank sickle sharpeners first were used around the 1860's and really took off in the 1880's. They were made up into the 1950's. Sickle sharpeners are collected and IH fans will try to acquire all twelve of the IH related companies that made them. I always see the number twelve but nowhere can I find a list them. So here are eleven of the ones I think are that list.

McCormick
McCormick-Deering
International
Champion
Deering
Plano
Milwaukee
Osborne
Emerson-Brantingham
Webster
Badger

Does the blue paint give a indication of the age?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:52 pm

See if there is a patent # and date anywhere on it. The patent date would give you a "made after that date".

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Jackman wrote:Does the blue paint give a indication of the age?
Not that I know of. More than likely that was Deering's signature color. The three most common sickle grinders I know of are the McCormick, the McCormick-Deering, and the International. They are all the same design (different than yours). The McCormick-Deering is always red, the International is always gray,
and the McCormick always starts a fight! :D
100_6960w.jpg
100_6960w.jpg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 793 times

NO, IT IS NOT JOHN DEERE GREEN!

YES, IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE THIS COLOR!
100_6962w.jpg
100_6962w.jpg (100.46 KiB) Viewed 793 times

This one came from my cousin's auction and it is old enough to have been used by my great grandfather (or my cousin could have bought it at an auction, don't really know). It doesn't have the IH circle logo on the castings (except for the couple I had to replace) so that dates it to around 1900-1910 or so. John *.?-!.* cub owner bought it at the auction and gave it to me after he got tired of tripping over it and moving it around his shop for a year or so. I bought a parts McCormick-Deering real cheap to get the parts that were missing and cleaned it up and gave it the correct colored coat of paint for a McCormick sickle grinder.
This is John *.?-!.* cub owner's original thread on it. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=74186

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:58 pm

Rudi wrote:The one I have say's McCormick on it ... most I have seen are definitely pre-Cub era and are bench or steel wheel mounted for sharpening in the field if need be.

this one is mine .. not a great pic though ..

Yours is even older design. Neat sharpener :D

Nice rifle in the background. Is that for those pesky Cub enthusiasts looking for spare parts? I actually fabbed a rack to hold my shotgun on the side of the gas tank on the Cub. I have an overwhelming fear of snakes and I can always flush out at least one when mowing the pasture.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Return to “Farmall Cub”