This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

throttle setting for mowing??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: throttle setting for mowing??

Postby Radec Aksarben » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:24 am

I run 2nd highest notch in 1st gear. That big single blade I have takes some power to keep it turning. 2nd gear only works for me if the lawn is thin and in wide open flat spaces. I have lots of obstacles, hills, ditches, holes, bumps, and turns so 1st gear is definitely appropriate. It does take quite a while to mow, but I like my cub so why rush? :D 3rd gear would be totally insane!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:50 am

There is no harm in running a cub (or a numbered series) at full throttle.
At full throttle, the RPM's are low enough to not harm the engine.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:54 pm

my friend told me that running the engine at slightly below full throttle will make it last longer, not the full throttle "hurts" it but that 3/4 throttle will give you more hours out of the engine since the engine is turning at a lower RPM. he also said that 3/4 throttle will burn a little less gas. i wonder about all of this. will slightly slower RPM give you improved fuel economy, after all gas is $$$$$$$

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Of course. Just like driving a car faster will burn more fuel because the rpm's are higher.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:27 pm

Personally I think you're splitting hairs on a Cub with regards to any difference in engine wear and fuel consumption.

The engine is going to lug down to some RPM below wide-open when mowing with a 60" deck anyway.

It will "seek its own level" in a manner of speaking: As the engine lugs down from top speed, RPMs drop. As RPMs drop the ground speed drops. As ground speed drops, the amount of power required to move the tractor also drops. Meanwhile, torque output from the engine is rising. So long as there is a happy medium where the torque output from the engine is enough to move it and run the mower, it will settle at that RPM.

When torque requirements are more than the engine can output, it will keep lugging down until it stalls. When torque requirements are less than the engine can output, RPMs will rise toward top speed.

Return to “Farmall Cub”