This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

EZ Lock Thread Inserts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

EZ Lock Thread Inserts

Postby Hengy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi all...

Has anyone tried this product in the past? http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsMetal/carbonSteel.html

My 1955, Lewis is a numbers matching tractor and I would really like to keep it that way if possible. The torque tube implement holes are wallered out, most likely due to either a sickle mower being run loose or a loader that was installed beating on that hole. I have not measured out the wallowed hole to make sure that it is not too big to allow for drilling the prerequisite 49/64 hole for the insert.

Since those holes are through holes, I am hoping that the thread lock on the inserts will do the job for me, too...

What do you guys think?

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ericofmaine
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04093
Tractors Owned: 1948 F Cub

Re: EZ Lock Thread Inserts

Postby ericofmaine » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Hengy wrote:Hi all...

Has anyone tried this product in the past? http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsMetal/carbonSteel.html

My 1955, Lewis is a numbers matching tractor and I would really like to keep it that way if possible. The torque tube implement holes are wallered out, most likely due to either a sickle mower being run loose or a loader that was installed beating on that hole. I have not measured out the wallowed hole to make sure that it is not too big to allow for drilling the prerequisite 49/64 hole for the insert.

Since those holes are through holes, I am hoping that the thread lock on the inserts will do the job for me, too...

What do you guys think?

Mike

Mike,

I use them all the time in my day job fixing holes in steel frames that aluminum inserts are bolted to that traffic drives over. They have worked out much better than helicoils and so far they outlasted the steel frames they were put in. I would highly recommend them.

Eric
Circle of Safety
1948 F Cub purchased new by my great Grandfather, then passed to my dad, my grandfather, and now to me.
Sickle bar mower that nearly took my toe off as a kid.
Plow that is complete overkill for the garden but I use it anyways!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Mike, I have used them successfully on the torque tube where you want to. Their big advantage is that they use a standard size tap. Most inserts of that style come in both a thick, extra thick, and thin wall configuration. You can pick the one with the correct OD based on how wallered out the hole is. Different lengths are also available.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

smallfarm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43078

Postby smallfarm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:15 pm

They are the best.
PO of my cub used it as a spray tractor for years and the tank must have been lose for most of them. My torque tube was so bad I should have milled it flat, but I don't use the bad hole and flat much. I did fix the hole though.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:16 pm

As a builder of special machines, I've used these on numerous occasions. They work great but I suggest you purchase and use the installation tool. The biggest problem I've had with them is the somewhat hard "thread locking compound" they apply to the threads.

This compound can make getting the insert fully installed very difficult and even with the installation tool I've stripped the slot at the top of the insert and had to throw the insert away and try another one. What I do now is run the insert through a die to remove the compound and apply a liquid thread locking compound to it upon installation.

How do plan on drilling the holes? That may be more of an issue to deal with. Drilling out a large hole with a hand drill will be a chore and possible wrist breaker. You will need to run the drill bit at a pretty slow speed. The plus is the material is cast iron which drills easily.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm

You can thread a nut onto a bolt to use as a jam nut and screw the bolt into the insert. It can then be screwed in with a socket or wrench.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:You can thread a nut onto a bolt to use as a jam nut and screw the bolt into the insert. It can then be screwed in with a socket or wrench.

Bob

Daaaa! I'm not the sharpest tack in the box.... :roll:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Ricky, I didn't come up with that myself, it was on a website.

Bob
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”