This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Do It Yourself Touch Control

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Do It Yourself Touch Control

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:32 pm

If you purchased a Cub without a Touch Control but wanted the added convenience of hydraulics to raise and lower your attachments, what would you do? Spend a couple of hours and a few hundred dollars adding a factory Touch Control unit to your Cub? Bolt on the pump, lines and the TC unit, hook up your implements and go to work? Or would you spend a few hundred dollars, hours and hours of design and fabrication time and make your own?

Well, I saw this at the Winamac Show today. It's always fun to see ways that others resolve problems by using what they have on hand or just by taking a totally different approach to resolving the problem.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Do It Yourself Touch Control

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:09 am

This is what I see: Belt runs mower and pump. hydraulic controls are mounted to steering column. hydraulic piston moves the rocker to the front and the drawbar to raise and lower the mower.

Very cool! Personally, I would have done the lines in a way that kept them neat and out of my way, having it hang over/around the shifter like that would drive me bonkers.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Very inventive. That pump looks like a repurposed power steering unit off an old GM truck, including the bracket. Probably cheaper and less headaches doing it like that vs. a touch control add on. Interesting fab job on the dual purpose pulley. Down side would be that the rear lift arm isn't available for anything else and the drawbar is pretty much stuck in place. It's fine for a dedicated mowing tractor though. Probably doesn't need the spring assist anymore :D !
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Looks like quite a bit of engineering, and a pretty neat job just to raise a belly mower, unless he has more front/belly mounted stuff to go with it. I am assuming it was built with available parts, but I would have probably gone for a pump from a `154 so I had live hydraulics. But i also have to take into consideration he may not have known about the 154 pump. I would not have before the internet was available.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

TomE
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35

Postby TomE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:04 pm

It looks like a lot of head scratching went into that design.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:06 pm

I too enjoy seeing how other folks solve issues/needs with their Cubs. This is interesting and a rather clever way to solve the TC thought. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”