This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control Won't Crank up

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Touch Control Won't Crank up

Postby The Riot » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:52 am

Hello Everyone,
My ongoing advanture of rebuilding my 1972 Cub, Gramps, started about 2 years ago with the total rebuild of the Touch-Control, complete tear down, pulled every valve, replaced every O-ring, etc. and did a complete rebuild of the pump as well. At the same time while it was all apart I had the Block Powder Coated (which is another issue). Once the TC and pump were rebuilt I put those aside and they have been sitting in the shop since.
About a week ago I was far enough along to make my first attempt to start test start the engine and it was really gratifying to hear her purr again after almost 20 years of being down and in parts in pieces for the last 10 years.
Well, last night I couldn't take it anymore and had to see if the TC would work. After installing the block, pump, etc, and filling with Hy-Tran, then doing the Air Purge process, it wouldn't work. The only sign of life was the rocker arm moving slightly after a few minutes of running and it only seemed to be repositioning.
Any thoughts, I'm kinda stumped, and don't really know where to begin diagnosing. I hope I don't have to tear the whole TC system again.

Here's a pic of the ongoing project. As you can see the Powder Coat color is a few shades lighter than the new paint on the rest of the tractor. The guy who did the PC didn't match the color properly and now I'm left with a big decision, do live with the color mis-match or do I repaint the Powder Coated TC to match.
Oh, well.

Thanks again, everyone.

The Riot
Attachments
Touch Control Test (768x1024) (600x800).jpg
Touch Control Test (768x1024) (600x800).jpg (301.52 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Control Won't Crank up

Postby Hengy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:08 am

Check the fluid level again and see if it has dropped. Then keep cycling the TC...I'll bet that it comes to life. If not, then check to make sure that your TC pump drive gear has not come off of the end of your TC pump.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

I'd leave the T/C paint job alone. Once you put the hood back on, you'll hardly notice it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Hello Everyone,
I finally had a chance to get back on the TC this afternoon. tried, and tried to cycle the system to purge the Air, but still a no go.
Next I pulled the Hyd. lines and the pump to make sure the gear was properly installed, it was, cheched to see if it was turning in the correct direction, it was, checked Hdy, lines to make sure there was no obstruction, preventing oil flow, expecially no the supply line, and no obstructions. I poured fluid and watched it free flow in both lines, ran a wire in each and I'm convinced that the linse are clears. There was Hdy oil in the pump and I turned the pump by hand and saw it push oil out of the pressure side and had a little suction on the inlet side of the pump. All seems in good order, put it all back together and still not working at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to systematically diagnosed what my problem is? Is there anything I can do short of pulling the TC block out and pulling the head to inspect the valves? If I try to do a pressure check on the pump would it be valid if I have a problem in the block?

Thanks again,
The Riot

Worksmart
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'64 Int'l Cub
'66 Int'l Cub
'76 Int'l Cub
'53 Farmall Super A
'03 Kubota BX22
‘19 Kubota L6060

Postby Worksmart » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:34 pm

Here is a link to both the Blue Ribbon Service Manual for the Touch Control and the Cub Service Manual. They both have step by step diagnosis for the Touch control.

Blue Ribbon Service
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/files/Service%20Manuals/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1024%20Touch%20Control.pdf

Cub General Service Manual
Go to page 171 on this .pdf to get to the Hydraulic Section.
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/files/Service%20Manuals/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-1411%20W-Rev%201%20Cub%20and%20Lo-Boy%202-76%20OCR.pdf

Hopefully someone will post something to zero in on a particular area to look at in the meantime and save you some time.

Chuck
Worksmart not hard!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Check the pump again.

There is a brass piece that looks like a figure "8". The tabs on the figure "8" have to be pointing to the front/drive gear side of the pump.
I have an excuse. CRS.

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Hello Eugene,
Yea, I am suspicious of the pump as well. I will pull it down and post the results, probably tomorrow.

I surely appreciate your help.

regards,
The Riot

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:30 am

I agree to check the pump. If that figure 8 spring (?) isn't in there properly it won't work. Otherwise, follow the manuals systematically and you should find the problem. Good luck!
Trent McPeak

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:18 am

Here's link to a "How to": viewtopic.php?f=141&t=44196
You also need to make sure the pin seal is in place or the pump won't function correctly.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Well folks I pulled the pump down, opened her up and made sure everything is in proper order, the figure 8 has the tangs pointed forward, toward the gear, the pin seal seems to be properly installed, everything appears to be OK with the pump.
I re-installed the pump, filled her with Hy Tran and did the Air Purging procedure, stil nothing. I messed around with it for quite a while opened the filler cap, worked the lever, put the filler cap back on,,, and nothing, nothing, nothing, it's just dead.

Is there any way to check the pressure relief valve, or a bypass valve without having to reopen the block?

Thanks again,
The Riot

Andrew Z
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06234

Postby Andrew Z » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 am

Maybe a collapsed / plugged screen or you may have debris or a stuck valve in the TC. I have been down this road a few times, last one was with a 49' that had not run in years. I got the seal kit from TM and proceeded to reseal the unit. It was not that bad of a job to do took me about 4 hours off and back on and running.
49 Cub, and many other Farmalls and one Orange critter :)

This is Farmall Country!!

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:48 am

I assume that you have the manifold lines off. If so use your air blow gun and insert it into the high side hole in the side of the TC unit and move the control handle. If everything in the TC is right it will function. If not the problem is there.

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:14 pm

That's a great tip, I will give it a try. Should I drain the oil in the block before I put the air in it?

I am either reading for misunderstanding the instructions in the CBoK about the installation of the Cover Spring "8". The experienced experts are giving me pointers that have the "8" installed with the flat side against the brass and the tangs facing forward or toward the Drive Gear of the pump.
Here in the pic from the CBoK on installation it says to have the tangs facing the brass bushings and the flat side facing the Drive Gear or facing forward.
Right now I have it installed with the flat against the bushings and the tangs facing the Drive Gear / forward and it's not working. I guess i should try flipping it.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
The Riot
Attachments
coming back together (480x640).jpg
coming back together (480x640).jpg (217.27 KiB) Viewed 225 times

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Sorry about that I picked up the wrong pic.

Trying again
Attachments
Hyd Pump Pic Inst CBoK (480x640).jpg
Hyd Pump Pic Inst CBoK (480x640).jpg (172.44 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:27 pm

I can't help with the figure 8 spring. Drain the oil first. If not you will be covered with it.