This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

kerosene in gear box

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Special P
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54130

kerosene in gear box

Postby Special P » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:56 pm

I read on here to put kerosene in the gear box and the steering gearbox . Will this damage the seals. How long do I leave it in. Is there a vent for the gear box.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: kerosene in gear box

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Special P, Welcome to the Forum. The kerosene is just a means of cleaning all the gunk and sludge out if proper maintenance was not done on the Cub. I'd suggest seeing what comes out and if looks like it is long overdue, use the Cub with kerosene for 15-20 minutes, then drain and refill with the proper gear oil. There is not a vent for the gear box, but probably some air leakage around the PTO lever (the felt seal is usually gone) and around the shifter.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Special P wrote:Is there a vent for the gear box.

However there is a vent for the steering gearbox. It is located in the fill plug. Most of the time they are covered with crud and you can't see them.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Special P
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Special P » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:14 pm

The oil in crankcase was very dirty and oil wouldn't run from filter drain because of heavy sludge . Had to use a screwdriver to clear
Can I use kerosene in the crankcase also . thanks for the information on the gear box

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Absolutely not! If you run the engine with kerosene as the lubricant you will likely need to rebuild it. You can use kerosene (or diesel) with a stiff brush to clean the oil pan.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:56 pm

you can run the engine with a qt of diesel and 2 qt of motor oil for a minute or 2 and it should not destroy it, I have done this on diesel engines with no harm. How ever you will be loosening up a lot of crud in your engine that may not flush out when you drain out the mix. I think you either need to really clean it up or leave it alone
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Special P
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Special P » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:09 am

I think I will leave it alone

Sailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Barnyard wrote:However there is a vent for the steering gearbox. It is located in the fill plug. Most of the time they are covered with crud and you can't see them.

And here I thought I didn't have anything to do this afternoon :) I knew I hadn't remembered seeing any vent hole when I changed the steering gear fluid in my Cub so I just went out to the garage and checked mine. Yup, it was full of "crud".

Thanks for information Bill.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

Return to “Farmall Cub”