This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub Owner Inquiry

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub Owner Inquiry

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:36 am

Xperimental wrote:Is the place to attach the helper spring the only change that was added in late 1954 to provide for the fast hitch?

Yes, the touch control rock shaft was changed as well as the beefed up fender, both for the helper spring.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Don*S wrote:However, my thoughts as a newbie are that the CUB should be presented as it would be for the time period and manufacture specifics.

The prevailing opinion of the members here is "It's your tractor, do what you want with it." The correct police are tolerated at best.

If you prefer the grill you have, keep it. I prefer that look, too, and if Eddie had been wearing one when I got her, I would have kept it. Thought about changing, but, like you, I prefer to keep things period correct. I'm also very frugal, and at the time I was thinking about it, those grilles were rather spendy. (Probably still are).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm

After looking back over the pics, I'm certain the tractor didn't roll off the line the way it currently sits, so I think that rules out the parts manual being wrong (at least in this case).

So that leaves two likely scenarios in my opinion:
1) The tractor is a Oct 1954 production, but had the hood and grille changed out with a post '56 hood/grille
2) The tractor is a post Jan 1956 production but had the radiator bolster changed out with one from Oct 1954
(I guess a third, less likely option is the tractor is a hodgepodge of parts thrown together)

If Don reports back the some casting numbers and the engine SN off the tractor, we can know for sure whats going on.

Don*S
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 02188
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub

Postby Don*S » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:16 pm

OK. Just got home. The F-CUB serial # is clearly 181898 which falls in the 1954 bracket. Engine serial # appears to read 135233 but is difficult to see.
Castings:
Engine 7-22-Z
Touch Control 6-21-Z
Gear Box 8-24-Z
Rear End 7-30-Z
Right axle 7-29-Z
Left axle 7-22-Z

I got high resolution photos of these and will get them transferred and cropped if it appears there is a need to verify them.

Seems like the Hood may have been changed from original unless some got the hood change but not the other upgrades in 54. ??

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:31 pm

More likely your engine SN is 185233. Do you by chance have the engine PN? Its right below engine cast code. Just wondering if it is a R6 or R7 block.
With those numbers, you have an Oct '54 tractor with a later style hood and grille. I believe I can say with relative certainty that the hood didn't come installed on the tractor is because of the two oil holes. When the new style hood came out in Nov '54 (w/ stainless emblems), those holes were not there, and didn't show back up till sometime after Jan of '56.
Like the others have said, its your tractor and you can certainly leave it as is. Those hoods, emblems and grilles are pricy items because of their look! :D

Don*S
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Don*S » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:35 pm

The bill of sale (from private sale) describes the tractor as 1953 Farmall Cub. The repair invoice dated 1/11/2010 from FarmAllFix, Inc describes it as 1954 Cub #181898J.
There are four invoices dating from 3/9/2010 to 1/11/2010 detailing a VERY long list of parts and services performed.

Don*S
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Don*S » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:39 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:More likely your engine SN is 185233. Do you by chance have the engine PN? Its right below engine cast code. Just wondering if it is a R6 or R7 block.
With those numbers, you have an Oct '54 tractor with a later style hood and grille. I believe I can say with relative certainty that the hood didn't come installed on the tractor is because of the two oil holes. When the new style hood came out in Nov '54 (w/ stainless emblems), those holes were not there, and didn't show back up till sometime after Jan of '56.
Like the others have said, its your tractor and you can certainly leave it as is. Those hoods, emblems and grilles are pricy items because of their look! :D

The block is R7

Return to “Farmall Cub”