This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starting issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lo-bob
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55082

starting issue

Postby lo-bob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 am

My '57 Low boy will start in most cases within a couple of revolutions but only if the throttle is all the way down. if the throttle is advanced much at all it will not fire or start. If I advance the throttle after starting it will stall out unless I feather the choke. When running at a fast idle it will significantly surge. Cranking speed is good and timing, plugs, valve lash, compression and carb have all been checked to specifications in the manual. I have good power when warmed up although if the throttle is advanced quickly it stumbles a bit.
Any suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: starting issue

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:17 am

All your symptoms lead me to suspect a fuel restriction. Pull and clean the main jet on the side of the carburetor. Check fuel flow through the carb after you pull the jet, should be a steady stream out the hole.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: starting issue

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm

If Raymond's suggestions don't solve the problem, check the fuel level in the carburetor bowl. Check the gasket between the carburetor and manifold. Check the carburetor top for warpage and condition of gasket between carburetor top and bowl.

Edit. Check to see if the gasket between the carburetor top and bowl is correctly installed. On some carburetors the gasket can be installed up side down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”