This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub To Me

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62258

New Cub To Me

Postby Geezer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Just inherited my fathers 1960 Cub he bought nearly brand new. Always kept inside and serviced regular....I will do the same. I have the sickle mower (dunno if it works appears all there), rear weights (no wieghts for the front???), chains and front end snow blade. I often wondered why there is no (1) water temp gauge and (2) water pump. Maybe those came on later model cubs. Are these fairly bullet proof cooling systems? Has anyone ever installed a water temp gauge? I installed one on a Ford 9N and that worked fine. Was considering doing the same but thought I would check. Lots to read on this site and it sure appears to be a popular little tractor for only having around 10 horses, although I am finding it handy around the yard. Especially anxious to see if the sickle mower will work, I have areas where it will come in handy.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub To Me

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:07 pm

Geezer, Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable Cub lovers here. To answer your questions, the Cub has neither a water pump or temp gauge. The cooling system is a thermosyphon style. Neither a pump or gauge are needed. If you click on either "PDF Manuals" or "Rudi's Manuals" in the toolbar above, you will find owner's, operators, and service manuals that you can read, download or print out. There is a lot of info on this Forum, and after a while, you'll learn your way around. Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Welcome, I'm sure you will enjoy your Cub, they are great little tractors. This is the place to get info about the Cub.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Geezer wrote:.......Especially anxious to see if the sickle mower will work, I have areas where it will come in handy.
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great Cub. There is a sickle manual in the manuals section which will show all the parts and how to mount it correctly. If you haven't used a sickle mower before, or it's been awhile, there are a couple safety items that can't be stressed enough. When lifting the bar to the transport position ALWAYS use your palms with your fingers to the rear of the cutter bar. NEVER use the sickle with pets running loose. Cats will hide in the grass and dogs will run around the tractor and they both will end up with less paws than they started the day with. Sickles are great for trimming ditches and under limbs besides for cutting hay, you just have to use a little extra caution what's around you.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:59 am

Welcome to the forum!

The coolant level in the radiator is usually 1" +/- below the filler neck. If you overfill, the coolant will discharge through the overflow tubing once the engine is hot and find a level it's happy with. Also, even though some have used straight water, please consider using 50/50 mix of modern coolant with water to prevent freezing in the winter months.

EDIT: Here's a link to a thread that may be helpful to new-to-you Cub owners: viewtopic.php?t=16305
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Geezer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks to all for posting, I will review the links for the manuals and sickle mower, I have plenty of places that a sickle mower will come in handy. I imagine if I dig deep enough I will find Dads Cub manual. I do not believe I could find a Cub in more original condition that has not been restored, we could have sold it several times over, but this one is special to me and hopefully some day to one of my boys as well. Thanks again to all for posting.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:40 am

Geezer, welcome to the forum! As you know by now, this is the best place to get all your Cub information. If at all possible, you might want to attend Cubarama September 25-27 in Fredericktown, MO. A lot of forum members, as well as others, will be there showing off our Cubs or just hanging out. That is only about two hours from you and a great place to meet other Cub owners.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Geezer
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Geezer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:56 am

I have that on my calendar thanks. Hopefully time will permit.
Barnyard wrote:Geezer, welcome to the forum! As you know by now, this is the best place to get all your Cub information. If at all possible, you might want to attend Cubarama September 25-27 in Fredericktown, MO. A lot of forum members, as well as others, will be there showing off our Cubs or just hanging out. That is only about two hours from you and a great place to meet other Cub owners.

Return to “Farmall Cub”