This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A few odd bits about the Cub...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TomE
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: A few odd bits about the Cub...

Postby TomE » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:52 pm

My spindles are welded. It came that way from the PO. It's never been a problem.

What is a despeeder?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Tom, Here is a link to a brochure about the Howard despeeder from TM Tractor: http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gbr ... torcd6.htm
It is an additional gear box that mounts on the side of the tranny (or in these pictures, on both sides). It's purpose is to slow the tractor more than 1st gear to allow for rototilling, highway mowing, etc. where a slower speed is desirable or necessary.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm

With the Despeeder engaged, especially if you do both, you can watch the turtles zip by.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62828
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1960 Cub Lo Boy slope modified
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 pm

I plan to try that as soon as I get comfortable with the Cub. I'll try to take a video.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:16 pm

the reason for two despeeders is becaues if you only have one on the left the right wheel will pull faster under a load . I myself have a problem when tilling using the despeeder. In soft ground the right wheel seems to push the tractor to the left. so Being this loboy is set up specially for stability on hills it would require two despeeders to keep the tractor pulling it self straight on a hill or on soft ground.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:32 am

Clark, the differential compensates when there is only one despeeder. It may be favoring the right wheel in soft ground due to the extra drag from the despeeder unit, though.

If it wasn't, either the tractor would stall or tear the rear end apart on hard ground with a single despeeder engaged.

The reason for two despeeders is to get an even slower ground speed. Two despeeders gives you three speed ranges: Normal, Slow, and Moss.

TomE
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35

Postby TomE » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Sounds like the despeeder might need a CubTA decal.

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62828
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1960 Cub Lo Boy slope modified
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:23 pm

We'll, I just couldn't resist. I had to play with the despeeders tonight after work. The levers were pretty stiff after a decade or more of disuse, but some careful jiggling did the trick. Boy, first gear with both despeeders engaged and throttle in the first notch is a real hoot! And throttling up to 3/4 barely makes any difference. I'm sure I made quite a sight, sitting on this tractor just barely moving and giggling like a little girl.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 am

i bet it would beat all the fords with a double sherman trans in a slow race! :{_}: in my experionce with the despeeder on my loboy cub with loader and rototiller in a heavy push the torque is transfered to the right wheel. I have 2 sets of wheel weights and still tire chains ,the torque is transfered to the right wheel.. yes I know the despeeder isnt designed for more torque. :worthy: But one has to experiment. :lol:
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Be careful doing too much experimenting. I had my Despeeder engaged while mowing some tall weeds in an unused calf lot, and the rear wheels went down in a depression about a foot deep that just matched the curve of the tires and the flail caught a half buried railroad tie that a water trough used to rest on. Governor never opened, but the rear wheels stopped turning. Towed it back to the shed, all the time wondering if I had broken something in the Despeeder, and wondering if it would be something I could get fixed at a machine shop. Got it torn down and discovered the top shaft (differential shaft) of the left final had broken. Not much else I could have broken that would make the drive train completely dead, and be cheaper or easier to fix.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”