This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fuel shut off at strainer cup.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 169174

Fuel shut off at strainer cup.

Postby Alan Gee » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:54 am

Looking at the sediment cup I could see it was time to empty the cup. No matter what direction I turned the lever on the fuel shut off the gas kept running out. My question is , is the lever a simple half turn to shut it off or is it a screw in to shut off deal.
I just picked up this Cub and I am feeling my way around it. I took off the final drive pans and to my surprise the gears look almost unused, There was very little gunk in the pan, maybe a table spoons worth and plenty of oil. I am starting to feel that it has not been misstreated. There was also a modern oil filter installed at some point. Good signs I hope.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fuel shut off at strainer cup.

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:03 am

You turn the stem multiple revolutions from open to closed. The originals back seated when open so need to be turned fully open or they will leak at the stem. Many replacements have a packing. Either way, turn fully to the right to close, fully to the left to open.

Can you elaborate on the oil filter?

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:49 am

Another thought is that if you are turning it all the way off and it is not shutting off you may want to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. May be some crude in there.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 169174

Postby Alan Gee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Ok I turned it in about 4 or 5 turns and it did shut off. As to my comment about the oil filter. I am new to this Cub stuff so I looked on line to see about what kind of oil fitler is in there , i saw a few pictures of what the originals looked like , sort of a open pleated paper deal. The one that was in there on mine was a metal can with perferations . Plus there was not a lot of crap in the bottom . Like I said , it seems some one took some care of it before it got parked in the barn.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Alan, what you describe is what the filters now look like.

Image from TM Tractor Parts www.tmtractor.com
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”