This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A little stumped now....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

A little stumped now....

Postby Brutalfly » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Alright a couple of you guys are familiar with some of the posts I have been putting up about the battery and the regulator.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84387

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84278

I am still wondering somethings though.
I have asked a ton and probably still have a ton to ask but hopefully it is for another day.

Ok, here it goes.
I got the new battery and put it on and the tractor started right up.
I drove every gear and there was no problem.
I put the tractor in 2nd gear and lowered the deck and turned on the PTO.
After I did that I gave it gas.
After I gave it gas I released the break and the clutch.
The spindles started spinning and I went about a foot to a foot and a half and the whole tractor died.

My questions are this:
1. Is there something wrong with the carb?
2. Is it bad gas?
3. Is it the voltage regulator?
4. Does it need a tune up? (If so what would that consist of?)
5. When somebody is talking about points and cleaning them what do the mean?

I am sorry for all the questions and the frequency that I ask them. I bought this tractor with the intention of having it around for my boys and I to bond over and have stories to tell.
I am kinda discouraged now and :lost:
I love the tractor but would like to pop it with a hammer :lol:

You could give me all types of sports stuff and I would be great at it,
but,
when it comes to being mechanical I stink, even though I have been around tractors and I am a country kid.
This stuff is just new to me.
I respect you guys here and your opinions. You know about the tractors and I don't.
Thank you for all your time in reading and answering my posts.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: A little stumped now....

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:30 pm

First relax, put that hammer down and step away from the tractor.

Does it restart right away?

Is your generator charging? Did you read the voltage at the battery with an ohm meter? Did you check the voltage at the ground cable connection on the tractor? Check and clean the cable connections. No voltage or low voltage means she can run but it lacks in power.

Next when it stalls I remove the gas line to see if it's getting gas. The plug in the carb bowl can be removed to check for gas too. If no gas remove the gas cap and blow into the line to clear it to the tank.

Next when it stalls if all else is good check for spark? Remove the distributor cap to see if the points have voltage.
Last edited by BigBill on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brutalfly » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:35 pm

It does start right away.
The thing is I don't think anything is charging.
I think the generator is but my regulator has a lot of corrosion on it. I know I need a new one.
I don't have anything to test the generator with or the voltage.
Those are some things I don't know how to do.
The battery voltage dial where you start the tractor is always in the negative.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Did you try polarizing the generator to get the flow of electricity in the correct direction?

You use a piece of wire stripped on both ends and touch the battery pole on the regulator to the gen pole. These poles are marked. Then read your amp gage?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:46 pm

You can get a volt-ohm (vom) meter at Harbor Freight for free with flyer coupon, or pay about 6-7 dollars for one. Use to check voltage and continuity of circuits.i
Last edited by danovercash on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brutalfly » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:48 pm

No I have not done that yet.
I did not know how to do it.
So I just take a piece of wire and touch the battery end pole on the regulator and the generator pole and it should show something on the amp gage. (Sorry for repeating what you just said, thinking out loud helps me with these types of things).
What happens if it shows something and what happens if it doesn't?

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:12 pm

If your battery has enough life to start the tractor, I would look elsewhere. You say it dies when letting out the clutch with mower running? Will it stay running with gear shift in neutral, with mower running in a raised position; not cutting any grass? Since a cub does not have a "live clutch", meaning that with the tractor in gear, the mower cannot turn without the tractor moving forward. Letting the clutch out in tall grass with the mower engaged can kill the engine. Just a thought.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Charging problem: you have not indicated if you have followed this flow chart to dianose where problem is. No need going further with this problem until you do

Now generator not charging is not the problem with tractor dying if you have a good charged battery

Not sure if you have fuel or ignition problem. I'd seek advice from one of the pros here on the forum. And follow their advice exactly as they instruct you and I feel you can get problem solved. Anyway, that's what I would do and have done. I am willing to help, but I am NOT a pro.
Thomas

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Brutalfly wrote:Ok, here it goes.
I got the new battery and put it on and the tractor started right up.
I drove every gear and there was no problem.
I put the tractor in 2nd gear and lowered the deck and turned on the PTO.
After I did that I gave it gas.
After I gave it gas I released the break and the clutch.
The spindles started spinning and I went about a foot to a foot and a half and the whole tractor died.

My questions are this:
1. Is there something wrong with the carb?
2. Is it bad gas?
3. Is it the voltage regulator?
4. Does it need a tune up? (If so what would that consist of?)
5. When somebody is talking about points and cleaning them what do the mean?

I'd like to back up and review your questions. I don't think charging has anything to do with it stalling. Are you wanting to fix the stalling problem or the electrical problem first? If it were me I would try to fix the stalling problem so you can keep it running and then find the charging problem.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Have you looked at the "How To" forum? There are a lot of threads with very valuable information in them. Check out the ones in the Ignition/Electrical forum right here: http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=140. Several threads on testing the electrical system.

Barnyard has a valid point, solve the stalling problem so you can keep it running to test the electrical system.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:58 pm

You can over load the Cub cutting tall, thick, tough, heavy grass. We do not know what size or type grass you were attempting to mow or mower style. I currently have some grass that has not been mowed this season. I will use a larger tractor and brush hog to knock it down, then come back with a Cub to finish up.

Have you tried mowing in 1st gear with the deck elevated so that you are leaving 6" of uncut grass? Sometimes the first round is the most difficult. 2nd pass you can take a shorter swath/mower cut.

Engine power. If tractor will start moving in 3rd gear, probably good to go. Although a complete tune up would improve performance.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 pm

I still say the engine is worn out and needs complete re-build!---my #9 did so I dumped it on an AUCTION!----got my money back and didnt have to wast time on a re-build---I am sure that the new owner is NOT a happy camper about now, but hey , THATS what auctions are for!---BUYER BEWARE!!!! LOL!! thanks; sonny

P> S> did you EVER take it in and have a PRO. do compression test on it???----That is another critical point on these baby engines!---they gotta be top shape!---is the mower turning freely? are the blades turning stiff or easy? they gotta pretty much freewheel and when you turn on pto, get the mower running full bore,--raised off the ground,-- then dump the clutch and at the same instant speed shift into LOW gear and quickly let the clutch out before mower stops spinning! --- I dont even try to mow with cub anymore, I use the 185 with lpto and 6 speed tracs. and it is the best little bushhogger you ever seen!---even but a big grass catcher behind it! ---Vid is on u-tube!

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby indy61 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:36 pm

SONNY wrote:I still say the engine is worn out and needs complete re-build!---my #9 did so I dumped it on an AUCTION!----got my money back and didnt have to wast time on a re-build---I am sure that the new owner is NOT a happy camper about now, but hey , THATS what auctions are for!---BUYER BEWARE!!!! LOL!! thanks; sonny

thanks; sonny but it's probably something simple.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:06 pm

As others have said, several different issues here.

Charging problem, least of your worries. Lots of posts on here to help troubleshoot that, just go through the checklist methodically.

Stalls when cutting grass, one or both of two issues.

Tractor condition - does your tractor pull itself off in 3rd gear? That is an excellent test to understand how good or bad your current engine tune is at. If not, tune-up needed, and should include points, plugs, wires, cap, valve adjustment, and maybe more. Could also be fuel flow issue. I had an issue with a weak coil one time that showed up as no power (3rd gear test), and hard starting. New magneto coil solved it.

Mower condition - unbelievable what a proper mower set-up can do for performance. Make sure blades are sharp, and that front of mower deck is about 1/2 " below rear. Belt is tight, spindles are lubed, should be good to go.

Address one issue at a time, and solve it before you move on. When set up correctly, these machines are impressive in what they will do.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:13 pm

I cut higher grass by making two or more cuts. There isn't enough HP in the c60 engine with a rotary mower to cut high grass in one pass. Just food for thought.

Return to “Farmall Cub”