This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub owner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 169174

New Cub owner

Postby Alan Gee » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:29 pm

Just picked up my first Farmall Cub. Its a 1953. It runs ok, a little smoke but not bad. Question # 1 for today. The rear bull gears that drive the tracton wheels, how does the oil get to them ? Is it just a run down from the rear housing? Or do I need to put it in some how and if so how?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Cub owner

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Alan, Welcome to the Forum. You'll find a lot of friendly and knowledgeable Cub lovers here. If you click on "PDF manuals", or "Rudi's Manuals" in the tool bar above, you will find Owner's, Operator's, and Service Manuals for your Cub. To answer your question, the gear oil for the bull gears is held in the pans underneath the rear finals:
Image Picture from TM Tractor. To change the oil, you need to remove about 10 bolts and drop the pan. There is a cork gasket there that will probably need to be replaced. I'd suggest changing all the fluids as shown under maintenance in the Owner's Manual, unless you know the previous owner did it regularly. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:38 am

Alan, welcome to the forum. It looks like Bob has you covered.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 am

BTW, there is a fill and level-check plug on the main casting of the final drive. It would be on the front on the right, and on the rear on the left.

You can see it right there top center in this picture of a final removed from the tractor that I found on google:

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:24 am

I bought a hand pump for filling everything that uses hytran. One of the best purchases I've made. Easy and as long as you pay attention, no waste :-)
Thomas

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks for the info, I know I will have more questions as I get into it more. It is odd that the tractor seems so user friendly and simple to maintain and then to have no way to drain the oil from the lower drive gears. I figure it does not need to be done often but still.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Bob told you how to drain it.... take the pans off. The later manuals recommended HyTran (hydraulic oil) in both the tranny and the finals. But often people will call me names and recommend gear oil.

Often the plug is hidden by mower brackets etc. 3/8" socket (or is it 1/2"?) will do the trick, but I would advise changing it, probably there from the factory. The top bearing is lubed by the splash of the bull gear.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:13 pm

OK thanks. Had some time to get into it and I removed both pans. I had no idea what to expect from a 60 year old tractor, I held my breath and dropped the pan. It was full of oil, black oil. I cleaned it out and found only a small amount of sludge in the bottom, maybe a table spoons worth. The gears , much to my delight looked very good. The one side I thought had a problem because there was no cap on the hub, it turns out it a place to hook up a seeder of some sort.

Return to “Farmall Cub”