Cub quit out in the field

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm

So today at work, one of my friends was cultivating with the red cub. He was almost done with a row and the tractor just sputtered and died. My boss got it running smoothly at low/normal idle, but as soon as he throttled up it would sputter and die. We cleaned the carburetor completely, (wasn't really dirty to start with). The tractor sat for about 45 minutes while we went to another field to do a few things. We then came back to it and it started up and got it to the end of the row and to the barn (total of about 50 feet) and it started to sputter again, but when you idle down it runs smooth as butter. We were scratching our heads and it hit me that it could be a fuel starvation problem, at low idle its getting just enough fuel to keep it running, but if you wanna give it more gas it chokes. Further reinforcing my conclusion is that after it sat for the 45 minutes it ran fine for a bit, making me think the fuel bowl in the carb had sufficient time to build up some fuel to burn before running out. Its a huge possibility that a small bit of fertilizer got into the tank and finally found its way down, choking the fuel line. Only letting enough fuel through to keep a smooth low idle.

Thoughts?

Re: Cub quit out in the field

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Take the metering jet out and turn the fuel on. Then see how the fuel flows from the tank. You may have blockage between the tank and carb. While the meter jet is out run a thing copper wire through it and blow it out it with carb cleaner. That will eliminate two possibilities. If it still sputters we can go from there.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 am

And make sure the fuel cap vent is not plugged.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:55 am

Barnyard and Gary both have the first steps, but if you do not find a problem, there is a good possibility of a bad coil or bad condenser. First time I ever saw a coil do that (about 30 years ago), it nearly drove me nuts before I changed the coil in desperation.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Only takes but a few seconds to disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and check flow there too.

Also take the cap off and shine a light down in the tank, looking for "floaters" or any other crud.

Look at the sediment bowl under the tank too. Might be full of sediment.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Blockage on the fuel line above the fuel bowel I'd check that. Or dirt in the high speed jet.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Got it running, now the clutch is fubar. Looks like the throwout bearing is rubbing the three fingers on the pressure plate even while the clutch pedal isn't depressed. The fingers got worn down to a point where the clutch wouldn't disengage and you can't get the tractor in gear. Gonna have to split, any thoughts as to why they are getting eaten up by the throwout bearing?

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:26 am

Lack of Grease ?