Plow Terminology

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Has anyone ever heard the term "scoring out plow"? It may have been misspelled and may possibly be "scouring out plow". Judging by the ad in which it appeared, it's not cultivators and not a potato plow/middle buster. I've asked for photos. :D

Re: Plow Terminology

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Scouring a plow is removing the rust from the molboard that accumulates on a plow that sets outside between uses. It can be done with a wire wheel, sand paper, or if you have a creek handy, plowing some furrows in the gravel bar, preferably in finer gravel, to remove the rust and polish the molboard.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:05 pm

The weekend warriors call common equipment some unknown name hoping to attract a buyer!---common practice around here! thanks; sonny

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Not sure what they mean if it's a "scouring out plow". But if they mean to scour the plow then I agree John.
There's some pictures in this thread from a couple years ago to show the effectivness of a gravel bar at scouring. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51363&p=427372

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:32 pm

John, I know what scouring (verb) a plow is. But, "scoring out plow" was used as a noun. Here's how the ad read (in part)... "Sale includes the following attachments:
Original Cultivators, Corn Planter, Scoring out Plow, Special Potato Row Plow...". It's got me stumped. :shock:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Well, we know what scoring usually refers to, and some people may be exteremely attracted to a good looking plow!

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:46 pm

After an exhustive google search of at least several minutes :lol: I'm going to say a scouring out plow is an older, maybe regional, term for a middle buster.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:00 pm

If I get some photos, I'll clear it up.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:20 pm

I think Scrivet has the right answer.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:27 am

Since we're guessing, I'm say it's middle buster as well.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:24 pm

It sounds like you saw this in a Craigslist ad or a similar ad.

Just because someone advertises something does not mean they know what they are talking about, and are using correct terminology, even taking local vernacular into account.

IMHO, this is someone who is trying to sound like they know what's going on, and failing miserably at it.

This is likely to turn out to be a conventional moldboard plow. The seller heard the term "scour" at some point, and due to foggy memory disease, has associated it as the type of plow.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:It sounds like you saw this in a Craigslist ad or a similar ad.

Yes.

Matt Kirsch wrote:Just because someone advertises something does not mean they know what they are talking about, and are using correct terminology, even taking local vernacular into account.

Hence, the reason for my question.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:39 pm

Scrivet was spot on. Here's the "scoring plow". Obviously not for a Cub, however.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:17 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Scrivet was spot on........
That boy never ceases to amaze me. :worthy:

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am

My grandfather used to be the only one to "score out" the rows in his garden. Everybody else made crooked rows.Then the boys would drop the seeds.