reverse idler

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:57 am

As many years as I have been tinkering with cubs, I have never had to do much to a transmission, but today along with a 10 year old neighbor for a helper I am starting tear down of my loader cub today, to repair a rumbling/growl that happens anytime both rear wheels are turning. All indications are that I have either a bad bearing on the pinion shaft or a bad bushing on the reverse idler. Is it necessary to remove the pinion (counter) shaft to change the reverse idler?

Re: reverse idler

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Been a while since I had my paws in one,((Hog Waller was the last one) but i believe the idler will come out, without much effort.
Ed

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:00 pm

John if you are putting a new bushing in the reverse idler you will probably need a bushing reamer. Sometimes they are so tight they won't turn easily and will get extremely hot. They actually come out quite easily.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:59 pm

I guess every now and then you get lucky. Took loader off, drained transmission, drove inside shed and jacked the rear wheels up to do some serious checking, pulled top off transmission, and found 2 causes for the noise. A couple teeth on the reverse idler have some slight gouges in the face. I am not sure, but I think tractor was lost off a truck when it was new. both front wheels had been replaced, right spindle had been broken and welded, then broken again, evidence both floor pan and hood had been replaced, all this on an engine with only about .004 wear on the cylinders. The last previous owner had replaced a broken gear which I think was reverse if I remember correctly. The second cause for noise was a brake band that drags occasionally and tends to stick if tractor sets for a long period, which this one does being a loader tractor.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:48 pm

The reverse idler bushing I purchase a couple months ago did not require reaming. it was spot on with the micrometer. Of course I had went and purchased a reamer just prior to this. Not sure if this was an anomoly or the specs on the part have been updated.