This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Issue with my mower. How to fix?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Issue with my mower. How to fix?

Postby offrink » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm looking for a center pulley for a woods 59-c2 mower I think. After a new belt and all the adjustments I could make I'm guessing that the small (1 1/2 to 2") piece of broken pulley keeps throwing the belt. So I need to either buy a new/used center tri-pulley or try to get it welded. Unless anyone has a better idea because the belt just keeps coming off!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Issue with my mower. How to fix?

Postby SONNY » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:42 pm

As many of these things that I have junked, ---MIGHT have known someone would have needed parts from them! LOL!~!! thanks; sonny

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:00 pm

SONNY wrote:As many of these things that I have junked, ---MIGHT have known someone would have needed parts from them! LOL!~!! thanks; sonny
Junk the decks, SAVE the spindles!

offrink wrote:I'm looking for a center pulley for a woods 59-c2 mower I think. ......

Might try JP they have lots of decks around and several parts. I'd make CERTAIN it was a 59-C2 just to save on headaches before I spent the money on the wrong one though. Definitely wouldn't try to weld it.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby offrink » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Well a neighbor who welded for his career and has had his own welder since '68 tacked a small piece of steel under the angled of the spindle and then filled it in with weld. There is some excess so I need to go buy a dremel and fiberglass grinding disks and make sure the sponge is smooth and then give it a try. If it fails all it means is that I spent some time catching up with a neighbor (I moved to this house in December) and have to but a spindle anyway. It appears someone tried to take off the spindle previously and use a puller in the wrong spot and that's why it broke. Anyway time will tell.

Is there that much twisting force on the top pulley of the center triple?

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 pm

offrink wrote:. If it fails all it means is that I spent some time catching up with a neighbor.....
My recomendation to NOT weld it was based on my opinion it would be more likely to break and if it did you would have chunks of metal hurled at the Cub tires, the neighbors car, or somebody standing nearby calling you for supper.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby offrink » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:27 pm

That is a good reminder to try it in a secluded part if the property. That is something I didn't think about.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Could break when you first try it or six weeks from now after you've forgot about it. In my opinion it's much safer to just replace the pulley.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:37 am

offrink wrote: Is there that much twisting force on the top pulley of the center triple?

Yes. On a Woods 59, the belt makes a 3/4 turn as it heads back from the top groove of the center pulley on the mower to the mule drive.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:01 pm

I never did understand how these belts stay on at all with all that twist they have to run in!!---I didnt save anything off them, no market for that stuff around here!---I just wanted the tractors that they were mounted under!---most of the tractors were orange! LOL!!!---well except MORPH and he works super on the dirt blade underneath! thanks; sonny

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:18 pm

You know there is welding and then there is welding. I can weld, but not good enough so I can say I can weld. But I've seen real welders, and the right one could fix that broken pully even if you didn't have the piece that broke off. Of course it would have to be re-machined. The pulleys themselves do not develop enough RPM for there to be much danger from a piece flying off. The cutting force is at the tip speed of the blades. I have a woods 59 under my 1949 cub. And I make my living as a machinist. The RPM's I see on the pulleys on my deck really are not dangerous in an industrial sense. Tip speed on the blades at the same RPM is a much different story. But it does pay to be careful.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 pm

Scrivet wrote:Could break when you first try it or six weeks from now after you've forgot about it. In my opinion it's much safer to just replace the pulley.

If you found a guy that could weld good enough to fix it right, it would cost more than the price of a new pulley.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Return to “Farmall Cub”