FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER (repairs)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 am

I'M SURE THAT THOSE WHO OWN A FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH THE TRAILER SIDES BEING RUSTED ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE TRAILER BED. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO REPAIR THEM ? I'M SEARCHING FOR IDEAS ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM.

BALDWINDIESEL

Re: FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER (repairs)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:22 pm

I'd imagine to do it "right" you'd need to replace the entire side panel. To make it functional, you could cut back the rusted areas and weld in patches, but they will always be visible.

The panels are probably only held on by a few short welds here and there. Grind the welds out, remove the panels, cut new ones, and weld them in.

There really is no option that doesn't involve metalwork, unfortunately. I suppose you could bolt plywood in but you would ruin the trailer drilling holes in the frame.

Re: FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER (repairs)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:55 pm

I agree with Matt. It all depends on how far you want to go! Really, once you start on it, you could just take the axle off and rebuild a bed to go on top of it. My Cub trailer is rusted in the front corners...right where water pools when it sits out in the rain and snow and where all of the dirt, etc, collects. Mine is functional as it is, so I just cleaned it up and painted it in order to retard any further deterioration of the metal. Any patches and repairs will be visible if done, but that is part of the character of the trailer.

Since moving up on "Hengelsberg Hill", I have used my trailer at a minimum monthly over the Summer months to move stuff around...I love mine!!