This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER (repairs)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER (repairs)

Postby baldwindiesel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 am

I'M SURE THAT THOSE WHO OWN A FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH THE TRAILER SIDES BEING RUSTED ALONG THE BOTTOM OF THE TRAILER BED. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO REPAIR THEM ? I'M SEARCHING FOR IDEAS ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM.

BALDWINDIESEL

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER (repairs)

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:22 pm

I'd imagine to do it "right" you'd need to replace the entire side panel. To make it functional, you could cut back the rusted areas and weld in patches, but they will always be visible.

The panels are probably only held on by a few short welds here and there. Grind the welds out, remove the panels, cut new ones, and weld them in.

There really is no option that doesn't involve metalwork, unfortunately. I suppose you could bolt plywood in but you would ruin the trailer drilling holes in the frame.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: FARMALL CUB 2 WHEEL TRAILER (repairs)

Postby Hengy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:55 pm

I agree with Matt. It all depends on how far you want to go! Really, once you start on it, you could just take the axle off and rebuild a bed to go on top of it. My Cub trailer is rusted in the front corners...right where water pools when it sits out in the rain and snow and where all of the dirt, etc, collects. Mine is functional as it is, so I just cleaned it up and painted it in order to retard any further deterioration of the metal. Any patches and repairs will be visible if done, but that is part of the character of the trailer.

Since moving up on "Hengelsberg Hill", I have used my trailer at a minimum monthly over the Summer months to move stuff around...I love mine!!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farmall Cub”