Transmission whine... normal?

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:02 pm

I got a chance to run the Cub around the farm today, it started fine and ran great.
I happened to have the camera in my shirt pocket, so decided to take a short video so I could ask y'all about the transmission noise. I have read about it on the forum, but it's kind of hard to quantify just how much is "normal" and how much is "bad" from just reading about it, so follow on the link and see what y'all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAyZIze08KI

No, I haven't checked all the fluids yet, I know someone is going to ask. I'll get her home in another week or so, I'll give it a good going over then and see what needs topping off and what needs replacing. I do plan to change the oil as soon as possible, since I have no idea how old the stuff in it is.
I took several photos while I had it out too, but it will take me a while to get them all re-sized before I can post them here.

Re: Transmission whine... normal?

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:26 pm

Sounds normal to me.

I couldn't figure out at first why that Woods deck set so far out to the left :? . Then when you pointed the camera down at the left final and I saw the despeeder I figured it out :{_}: .

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:39 pm

Normal is a pretty relative term.
Is it supposed to whine that much, no. Do most Cubs sound that way, yes, especially the older ones. It all depends on how much you can stand the noise. It can be fixed, if you are willing to break the tractor down and part ways with some money!

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:22 pm

All 8 of mine make the wicked noise that makes you think bout bailing off the tractor, so I just use mine and get thicker earmuffs ! LOL!!! ---nothing to worry about until it dont make ANY noise!---THEN ya mite have a small problem! thanks ; sonny

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Sounds EXACTLY like my Super A, but mine is way louder. I can never tell if this kinda stuff is normal or not.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:27 am

I see. Not exactly "normal", but "typical". Thanks!

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 am

Couple things from the video. First, to me, the tranny sounds maybe a "little" loud, but many many cubs sound like that and operate just fine. If you haven't drained the tranny fluid, flushed with Kerosene, and refilled, that may help quiet it down a little bit. Other than that, it is perfectly acceptable to run it like that. The tranny will let you know when it is time to do major surgery...

Second, I'd like to see some more pics of the front end of that tractor. The tie rods and steering arms look to be "non-cub", but they seem to fit the tractor really well. Are there ball joints on the end of the tie rods?? That's pretty neat.

Third, just a piece of advice to help lengthen the life of your throw out bearing. If you are going to be sitting for an extended period of time, it would be better to take the tractor out of gear and release the clutch rather than sitting with your foot on the clutch. Since the throwout bearing is a carbon block bearing, even with good lubrication, holding the clutch down as you did will cause wear on that part and over time will cause trouble. Using the clutch only to disengage the transmission and then shifting to neutral and releasing the clutch will minimize "rub-time" on the bearing.

Finally, I envy you with the de-speeder! Do you have a rototiller or some other attachment that came with the tractor that requires it to have its speed cut down?

Thanks for posting the video...that tractor runs GREAT!!

Mike

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know that about the clutch, that's good to know!
In another post I provided a link to an album of photos of this Cub, perhaps there are a couple of shots in there that will answer your question about the steering linkage? Here is the link again:

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/rocke ... t=9&page=1

This Cub seems to have been one of the "highway mower" units, as it has 2 despeeders. I have not played with them yet, but I understand from others that by using them both the old gal should really creep along.
Unfortunately I don't have any attachments for the tractor that are not seen here.
Last edited by Arthur Dent on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:29 am

Interesting. Yes, indeed, it does look like a highway Cub based on the pages listed and with your finals turned 180* away from what a regular loboy position would look like. Looking at the page here, it appears that they still had the original IH Loboy tie rods and steering arms on them which are different than yours.

Just another interesting piece of history on your cub!

Have you tried both despeeders engaged at the same time? I'd be interested to see how slow it goes when you do it! Just don't try to increase the pull of the tractor using the despeeders...something will break before the tractor runs out of power...

Mike

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Nice tractor….I bet that been driven some "over the road " miles in its past….And still going strong….Cool….Dave

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:38 pm

I was thinking that it had an hours meter on it, but it doesn't show up in these photos. I'll have to look.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:38 pm

De-speeders are also used on tractors when trenchers are installed on them! thanks; sonny

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:07 pm

SONNY wrote:De-speeders are also used on tractors when trenchers are installed on them! thanks; sonny

The Howard Despeeders that are installed on this tractor are not the same gear reduction unit that was used by Auburn for their Cub Trencher units.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't think that wine sounds too bad to me. Klunky and grinding are worrisome. I have test driven a few when my sister was shopping around for one, one was a 55? 56? loboy that she kind of liked but it had seen a lot of mowing and the tranny had almost a klunky sound in it and I told here for what the guy wanted we had better keep shopping.

Hengy wrote:Have you tried both despeeders engaged at the same time? I'd be interested to see how slow it goes when you do it! Just don't try to increase the pull of the tractor using the despeeders...something will break before the tractor runs out of power...

My sister bought on of these from a neighbor and I had not studied up on cubs, it was here first and it had two despeeders just like this one. Well it wasn't quite what see wanted and we sold it on ebay, she wanted a regular cub. Well I did not have the money myself to keep it but I played with it and they are awesome. Click one in and you go slow click the other one in and you creep. It had a deck like Arthur Dents and I opened her up with both despeeders engaged and I was mowing some dryish fall grass 3' tall, went right threw it, :shock: :D I wish I had taken some video of it. Then when not mowing play with the idle so it would just sput, and engage both and I think a dead tortoise moved faster. A real neat tractor, please do not tear it apart to just sell the despeeders, there are not to many left in this configuration.
Just my thoughts,
Russel Foster

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 pm

It is normal for a bad transmission in my o[pinion. I could not stand that noise, but I am use to ones that make no noise.
You can fix it for the price of a used cub cadet tranny, about $100 to $125
Boss